Will a new Mac Mini run Second Life

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by malandra, Dec 23, 2013.

1. malandra macrumors regular

It's a simple question. I need a new desktop computer, and all I do is word processing and photo storage. I'd probably be just fine slapping some externals onto my 2009 MBP.

Thing is, a close family member is a pretty serious Linden. I'd like to be able to go check out what he does, but my hardware can't handle Second Life.

So, will a quad core mini have what it takes? Or should I, out of familial love, spring for a base Mac Pro when I can get one?

Does anyone here hang out in Second Life? What hardware do you use?

2. iydkmigthtky macrumors newbie

iydkmigthtky

it will run flawlessly even on the base mac mini; second life has awful graphics.

3. blanka macrumors 68000

What a bull. It still is one of the most demanding programs for a GPU. And it can have very nice graphics! The palmy beaches with shadows, ambient occlusion, water effects, max view distance, max particles, avatar cloth.... Because all content is user-generated, it is not so optimised as say GTA5. Crank up the settings, and it will even hog a GTX Titan. But the nice thing is, you can scale as you like. From blocky crap on a G4 Mini with Radeon 9200 to max settings to nuke a Titan. Do yourself a favour, and run Windows 7 on it for SL. It will double your framerate.

But pure for SL, you probably better get a refurb or second life Mini 2011 with Radeon 6630M. It will be 10-20% faster than the HD4000 quad.

4. And macrumors 6502

And

One alternative would be talk to said family member via the RealWorld (TM) ;)

5. malandra thread starter macrumors regular

It's obvious, right? I will see Uncle Linden in a few days for holiday celebrations, I just couldn't get an answer out of him last week:eek: