Will a new mac revision be released with the release of Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by reddevil0728, Feb 28, 2011.

1. reddevil0728 macrumors regular

What's the possibility of that happening? What happened for Leopard and Snow Leopard? How long after their release did a new revision comes out?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not necessarily.

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Macs and OS X releases are not linked. Neither Leopard nor Snow Leopard, IIRC, came out in sync with new Macs. Instead, any Mac bought within a certain amount of time before the new version of OS X came out got the updated OS at a discount, and new machines just started shipping with the new OS.

4. sigma8 macrumors regular

I saw someone else speculating that they'd be releasing a "rev b" MBP with optical thunderbolt ports. I hadn't heard that rumor anywhere before, though.

IMO, it's pretty unlikely. Based on some preliminary research (macrumors buyers guide page and Everymac.com) it looks like they usually go 8-14 months between revisions, but I think sometimes that have a tiny spec bump in less time that that. Still, 3-4 months would seem much quicker than usual.

I suspect both resources I consulted do not show the really minor incremental bumps. I remember I bought a TiBook once that had been out for only a couple months, but in late december, they started shipping it with a Superdrive (or combo drive...can't remember...it was one better than what preceded it). So stuff can happen.

5. Tapiwa macrumors member

No need for that to happen:

"the port you'll find in new MacBook Pros and storage devices can actually take an optical cable when those are cost-effective enough to roll out, because Intel will eventually bake the optical transceivers into the cables themselves. "

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/intel-thunderbolt-a-closer-look/