Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I have an old G Linksys router right now... It used to be pretty fast, but it started to slow up after a while (i assume it was the router)

I'm going to get the Airport Extreme tomorrow, which is a Draft-N router. This WILL speed up my connection, right? I know my ISP has a speed limit, but i know it hasn't changed and my router now has slowed down cause i've been screwing with it.

I know it's a really stupid question, but i just wanna make sure.

Thanks!

contitego

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
the new router will speed up the connection between two computers on the network (ie passing files). The device is capable of 54megabits connection, but your internet connection maybe locked at 768kbps or less.

in order to speed up your internet connection, you need to purchase more bandwidth from your internet service provider.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
the new router will speed up the connection between two computers on the network (ie passing files). The device is capable of 54megabits connection, but your internet connection maybe locked at 768kbps or less.

in order to speed up your internet connection, you need to purchase more bandwidth from your internet service provider.

hmm... so it WON'T speed up the internet connection at all? Because the linksys was slowing my connection to the internet down a lot...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
hmm... so it WON'T speed up the internet connection at all? Because the linksys was slowing my connection to the internet down a lot...
Assuming your router is functioning properly, you should not notice a speed difference. Like the above poster said, you're current router offers 54 Mbps, which is far faster than your internet.

However, there are many variables with wireless networks (range, interference, etc.), and any one of them might cause your router to offer a less than optimal bandwidth, in which case a new router may or may not offer an increase.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Shouldn't you just be able to reset the linksys to factory settings and it would speed the internet back up if the router is actually the reason for your slow internet connection.

contitego

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
Shouldn't you just be able to reset the linksys to factory settings and it would speed the internet back up if the router is actually the reason for your slow internet connection.

no.

Take the following example:
You have a two liter bottle of soda, and instead of the usual opening, you have a pin hole size opening. You want to pour yourself a cup of said soda. In order to pour the soda faster, you need to look at what is bottle necking the pouring of the soda. If you look at the soda bottle, if you change the opening to larger hole, you can get more soda out. Changing the pin hole, to another pin hole will not fix the problem!

phil29

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
I have an old G Linksys router right now... It used to be pretty fast, but it started to slow up after a while (i assume it was the router)

I'm going to get the Airport Extreme tomorrow, which is a Draft-N router. This WILL speed up my connection, right? I know my ISP has a speed limit, but i know it hasn't changed and my router now has slowed down cause i've been screwing with it.

I know it's a really stupid question, but i just wanna make sure.

Thanks!

I wish it were that simple.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
no.

Take the following example:
You have a two liter bottle of soda, and instead of the usual opening, you have a pin hole size opening. You want to pour yourself a cup of said soda. In order to pour the soda faster, you need to look at what is bottle necking the pouring of the soda. If you look at the soda bottle, if you change the opening to larger hole, you can get more soda out. Changing the pin hole, to another pin hole will not fix the problem!

I understand bandwidth, but going by the OP

So going by the OP he believes he messed with the settings and caused his once fast router to slow down, a quick and free way to check if this is true is to reset the router, all the settings will be back to default and if the router is faster then he was correct in his diagnosis of the problem, if it's still the same speed then the router is not the problem and a new one will probably not speed up the internet.

contitego

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
I understand bandwidth, but going by the OP

So going by the OP he believes he messed with the settings and caused his once fast router to slow down, a quick and free way to check if this is true is to reset the router, all the settings will be back to default and if the router is faster then he was correct in his diagnosis of the problem, if it's still the same speed then the router is not the problem and a new one will probably not speed up the internet.

there is no real way to "screw up" bandwidth speed. He can reset the device back, but I don't think that's the problem. I have worked with many wireless routers, and I have yet to see how it is possible to "screw up" the band width. The router either works or doesn't work. Most of the time, it's put in your ip/dns/gateway for cable or your login for dsl. I have setup dozens of these for customers in both office and home environment.

Again, I could be wrong, and he COULD reset the router. I am going to guess once he resets, he will see the same exact problem.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks everyone.

I unplugged the cable from the router, and plugged it directly into my computer. There was a HUGE difference. It was pretty amazing how much it sped up.

I also figured out that the Linksys is a G router, and all the systems on my network are N, so that alone would slow the router down. The router also has no range whatsoever, and I was using it on the other side of the house.

I'm going out to purchase the Airport Extreme later today... I think it would definitely help.

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I also doubt you will see an improvement going wireless G to Draft N. The bottleneck is WAN side, not LAN.

To be safe, why not buy a time capsule? At least you'd be getting additional functionality for your shopping dollar.

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
I also doubt you will see an improvement going wireless G to Draft N. The bottleneck is WAN side, not LAN.

To be safe, why not buy a time capsule? At least you'd be getting additional functionality for your shopping dollar.

Yes, but draft-n has a far wider range than the crappy linksys i have. when i looked at the reviews, it was on the bottom of each one, for compatibility, range, and frequency.

And that's the exact problem: LAN. I already know the WAN speed is set, but the connection between this router and the rest of my computers is absolutely terrible.

I already have a 500GB HD, so i'll just hook it up to the AE. Much cheaper, maybe less sufficient, but it does the job.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Yes, but draft-n has a far wider range than the crappy linksys i have. when i looked at the reviews, it was on the bottom of each one, for compatibility, range, and frequency.

Ah, then it may be that you'll get better range and reception as much with a change of brands, as with a bump in format. And if you're spending money, you may as well go with N. Happy shopping!

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Ah, then it may be that you'll get better range and reception as much with a change of brands, as with a bump in format. And if you're spending money, you may as well go with N. Happy shopping!

Yup! It's so much faster than before. Hmph. And everyone was telling me it won't speed up lol.

I put the AE into bridge mode, and everything works perfectly. It's faster, connects farther, and it never disconnects me. Thread closed :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Yup! It's so much faster than before. Hmph. And everyone was telling me it won't speed up lol.

I put the AE into bridge mode, and everything works perfectly. It's faster, connects farther, and it never disconnects me. Thread closed :)

Your new router can out of the box with factory defaults. You could have simply reset the old router and gotten the same result.

It's like buying a new car because you old one had poor handling only because the tires were under inflated. The new car comes with air in the tires but that is an expensive fix to a simple problem. But still the fix works

ElectricMan5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2008
Your new router can out of the box with factory defaults. You could have simply reset the old router and gotten the same result.

It's like buying a new car because you old one had poor handling only because the tires were under inflated. The new car comes with air in the tires but that is an expensive fix to a simple problem. But still the fix works

I did. And i reset it more than once, even using the reset button. The router was old and running G, with really had range. This router has better range. With my old one, it sped up whenever i got closer to it. My bedroom is on the other side of the house.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I did. And i reset it more than once, even using the reset button. The router was old and running G, with really had range. This router has better range. With my old one, it sped up whenever i got closer to it. My bedroom is on the other side of the house.

I had a similar problem with an older "no name" router I inherited. For months I thought my ISP was giving me horrifically crappy service. Then I upgraded to a D-Link "n" router and, everything else being equal, noticed a HUGE speed difference. Like, from about 400 kbps to 6.5 mbps. Turns out the old router was somehow physically bad (or maybe never that good in the first place -- or maybe loose or damaged antenna connection?), so I junked it.

So yes, replacing your router may help things if the old router wasn't working properly for whatever reason.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008

No. You aren't paying attention. The OP has already reset the old router a number of times.

Linksys aren't known for being good routers and for good reason - they're cheap and lousy performers. They were cheap before Cisco bought the company and they're still cheap after. Flaky firmware and especially flaky hardware makes for a waste of money. Even DLink is a better product and that's saying something.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
No. You aren't paying attention. The OP has already reset the old router a number of times.

Linksys aren't known for being good routers and for good reason - they're cheap and lousy performers. They were cheap before Cisco bought the company and they're still cheap after. Flaky firmware and especially flaky hardware makes for a waste of money. Even DLink is a better product and that's saying something.

I've never had a problem with my wireless G netgear router or wireless N netgear router, until I have a problem with them I'll probably continue to buy netgear routers.

gnutz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
The MTU setting for your WAN connection in the router is important.

If you are using PPPoE to connect to your provider, you should set the MTU to 1492 since there is 8 bytes of overhead for the PPPoE header. Ethernet has an MTU of 1500, which is probably your default. When you do PPPoE, you are encapsulating your data inside a PPP packet encapsulated within the Ethernet frame. If you keep the default MTU, you will end up fragmenting your packets and cut your speed effectively in half or worse.

1492 may not be the ideal, and I know that some providers here in Japan the ideal MTU is 1454.

1492 worked for me and now my Internet connection is blazingly fast.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Few potential sources of problem

a interference from microwave or other routers
b dying router (old devices eventually die)
c low signal strength

Yes, each of those could be solved with new router.

If you have N devices only, you can set it to N only with 5.0ghz to minimize interference.

The MTU setting for your WAN connection in the router is important.

If you are using PPPoE to connect to your provider, you should set the MTU to 1492 since there is 8 bytes of overhead for the PPPoE header. Ethernet has an MTU of 1500, which is probably your default. When you do PPPoE, you are encapsulating your data inside a PPP packet encapsulated within the Ethernet frame. If you keep the default MTU, you will end up fragmenting your packets and cut your speed effectively in half or worse.

1492 may not be the ideal, and I know that some providers here in Japan the ideal MTU is 1454.

1492 worked for me and now my Internet connection is blazingly fast.

Those are fairly useless except for the placebo effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.