Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greeneyedsprout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I have an early 2008 Time Capsule.

I got an ATV2 for Christmas; it is connected by ethernet to the Time Capsule and streams Netflix perfectly.

We loved the ATV2 so much that we bought a second one for upstairs. It rarely does anything but *try* unsuccessfully to stream Netflix.

The wireless signal downstairs, where the Time Capsule is located, usually measures 15-19 Mb/s on SpeedTest.

The network is extended upstairs by an Airport Express. (Originally an early 2008 version, just replaced it with a new one purchased today.) Upstairs download speeds generally test at less than 1 Mb/s, on both the old and new Airport Express units.

Do you think this an n wireless issue? Should replacing my Time Capsule with the new version resolve the problem?

Or is this just a symptom of a weak upstairs network? If so, what I can do to resolve it?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Have you ruled out that the new aTV isn't defective? Try swapping them and see if you have a problem with the new one.

Also, try using wifi-n at the downstairs location.

ft

greeneyedsprout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
ATV2 from upstairs seems to work very well both hardwired and wirelessly when moved downstairs.

I guess this means the network needs a boost upstairs? What can I do?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The 1Mbps you're getting upstairs is simply not enough to stream Netflix.

Which frequency do you have the Time Capsule on? If it's 5GHz, the Airport Express won't be able to pick up as good of a signal as 2.4GHz because even though it is faster the 5GHz has a shorter range.

I suggest you try switching it to 2.4N and see if the Airport can get a better signal upstairs. If that doesn't work or if you're already on 2.4, try switching to a different channel with less interference.

greeneyedsprout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
I am on 2.4 b/g/n. Switched to channel 11 (from 1), which seemed to have helped marginally. Currently testing at 3-4Mbps upstairs, ~15 downstairs.

I can't really tell until morning, which is when I might be getting a worse signal upstairs for some reason. I streamed successfully upstairs in the evening when I installed the ATV2 several days ago. I didn't check speed then, of course, because I didn't think there was a problem. I have only been successful once in the morning -- in many attempts.

We are considering running an ethernet connection from the Time Capsule up through the wall to the attic and back down to the upstairs ATV2. (They're on opposite sides of the house.)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
We are considering running an ethernet connection from the Time Capsule up through the wall to the attic and back down to the upstairs ATV2. (They're on opposite sides of the house.)

I HIGHLY recommend doing that if you can. I had our house wired up for ethernet to every room when we had it built and streaming works flawlessly no matter where I am. For mobile devices, I have an Airport Express in a couple of locations connected by the room's own Ethernet back to the Time Capsule router at the central location. So the Airport Express creates a wireless N network at full strength rather than having to catch a weakened signal and extend it.

I suggest you do something similar. Make at least two ethernet runs to that location and connect your Airport Express there by Ethernet so that it can give your mobile devices a good wireless signal. Then connect your Apple TV to the other Ethernet port. You could also just make one Ethernet run and then place a switch there for extra ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.