Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddogeco

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2008
I have been asked to find a way of connecting the proposed 2 new imacs for my work. I want have the system connected though a time capsule to back up both imacs and they are reasonably priced. The project files will be archived to the external usb hard drive and transferred to the imacs for us to work on. there is a second router in the system because it is all ready there and controls the internet coming into the system if the time capsule had more Ethernet port the second router would not be needed. My question is will the computer label julies computer (xp pc with no wifi card) be able to see the external harddrive so she can save the paper work to it so we can all view it?
Please see my diagram attachment

Attachments

• system diagram.jpg
    system diagram.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 73

depaulsunny

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2008
It should work with bonjour installed on the pc.

You can format the hard disk to HFS+ and it would still read over pc as it uses SMB/CIFS protocol.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You might have issues doing it this way because "Julie's Router" might skunk up the works.

I can confirm that if "Julie's Computer" is connected directly to the TC (actually, I have an AEBS), that it will be able to see the 250GB drive.

If you do run into problems, look into having Julie's Router to extend the network and that devices connected to it are on the same sub-net.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.