Will a preorder put a hold on my card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Singin Hobo, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

For those who have pre-ordered online: will they hold the amount on my debit card right away?

2. menist macrumors regular

menist

I'd use my chase debit visa to preorder at AT&T last night. My chase account right now says pending on the order.

So to answer your question, yes they do authorize/hold payment, but won't charge or the pending won't clear till it ships.

3. casedogg311 macrumors member

I'm confused. If I don't have enough in my account right now, but will before ships, can I pre order from AT&T?

4. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

I ordered mine this morning through Apple.com and it authorized the ENTIRE amount ($299 + tax) PLUS a $1 authorization check.

Preordering = pay up-front!

5. casedogg311 macrumors member

OK thank you. Does any one know if att giving the same results?

6. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

As someone who works at a bank, maybe I can help.

Here's what will likely happen...Apple will verify that there is enough available through the card now. If the funds are available (or if your bank will allow it to overdraw your account that much), it will accept the card, and hold that amount out of your account. Once Apple closes out the sell, that charge will hard post to your account.

Now be careful...if it's like every other bank I know of, the amount that is pending will hold out of your available balance, so any charge that comes through your account while it's holding will give you charges.

Just looking out for you. :)

7. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

AT&T puts a HOLD on the money in your account when you reserve using a debit card. It says so on their website-I'd post a link, but their system is still down!:p

8. huddy5000 macrumors newbie

Hold released

Ok so i pre-ordered last night using my debit card, and as previously stated it placed a hold on my account for the whole amount. what i didn't notice was that when i ordered, the ship date that was given was JULY 2!!! i was so irritated i didn't notice this before, that i went ahead and cancelled my order (because if i'm going to go through the trouble of preordering, i want it the day it comes out!!). the cancel shows up on my apple account, but my bank is still showing a hold on my account.

anyone have any idea how long it will take for the hold to be released so i can use the money that's in my account?

9. Topher317 macrumors newbie

Yeah mine too, what's with the $1.00 authorization check if they've already drafted my account for the cost of the phone with tax?

10. TEZMANIAC777 macrumors newbie

What's this $1.00 charge all about?

I keep seeing this, "$1.00 authorization check", on several threads about the pre-ordering. I've checked my account several times and haven't seen anything other than the fact of a hold on there for transaction amount. Apple didn't inquire on my available funds. And no, I'm not a millionaire. But, then again, Apple has never checked me for available funds. I wonder why they pick and choose who to poke in on.