Will a Reference GTX 770 Work in a 2009 MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SIRmisterD, Feb 6, 2014.

1. SIRmisterD macrumors member

Hello,

I have been researching whether or not the Nvidia GTX 770 will work in a 2009 Mac Pro. After some research, I have found that drivers are not the issue, however the power consumption is. I have seen people who have ran the GTX 770 no problem without a external PSU, or any rewiring in the machine, etc.. On the other hand, I have seen people having to run a external PSU for this. What I want to know is, will the Nvidia GTX 770 work perfectly fine without having to replace, rewire, or use an external PSU, etc. in a 2009 Mac Pro. I cannot seem to find a definite answer to this, and this forum is my last resort to find a definite answer.

My current specs of the 2009 Mac Pro are as followed:

2.66GHz Xeon
    Nvidia GT120
    640GB HD
    1TB HD

If any questions arise, I will be happy to answer them.
    Thanks

2. echoout macrumors 6502a

It's a question of power consumption. If you are only running one nice GPU, 1 Xeon, 2 drives and no other PCI-e cards, I can't imagine that's an issue. I've heard of some loaded up systems that start sound iffy but yours is relatively barebones. I would go for it sans external PSU in a heartbeat.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

I vote "you'll be fine"

Just be sure to get a good 6 to 8 adapter that doesn't skimp on cables or connectors.

4. AkuskaUK macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

I bought a modded version from MacVidCards and it runs perfectly, as they said though... if you get a good quality 6-8 converter then it should be fine.

5. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

I've been running an overclocked MVC flashed Gigabyte 3 fan GTX 780 in my 5,1 Mac Pro for five months now. Using internal power with the two MVC modified eight pin connectors. Sweet Card and no power issues.

Lou

6. SIRmisterD thread starter macrumors member

I do have planned a few upgrades such as, another HD, possibly an SSD, and an Airport Extreme. Will this still be fine?

----------

Do you have any suggestions?

----------

First off, thank you to everyone who replied. It definitely gave me some satisfaction, :).

What I want to ask as well is, will the GTX 770 Bottleneck with the single 2009 2.66 Xeon processor? The reason why I am asking this, is because I want to make sure it would be worth getting the 760 over the 770, if the 770 is going to bottleneck. It would be a waste to get the 770 if it were to bottleneck because I could get the 760 cheaper, run on less power, and have 2x 6-pin connectors, rather than adapters. Just a thought that came to mind.

Thanks again!