Will A Replacement Keyboard Fix My MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThornhillKurtis, Sep 17, 2013.

1. ThornhillKurtis macrumors newbie

I'm currently using the late 2008 2.0GHZ Aluminum MacBook (http://support.apple.com/kb/sp500).

I bought the laptop used online and the keyboard does not work. Sometimes a few of the keys will work, but over all, they don't. I am currently using a wireless USB keyboard now on my MacBook and it is working perfectly.

So my question is, if I bought a new keyboard (I already have the part number of the piece I need) will this solve my problem and work if I replace the current keyboard in my MacBook? I heard some people talk about sometimes there's a problem with the LogicBoard, but based off how my MacBook is working with my USB keyboard, I'm having no problems with the actually laptop such as freezing clock and not sleeping.

As for why the keyboard doesn't work, it may have been water damage, but I'm not sure as I bought it and the keyboard was broke.

Thanks!

2. madmacfan macrumors 6502

From what you have described, a new keyboard is likely to fix this issue. When fitting the new keyboard, ensure the new ribbon cable is seated correctly onto the logic board and you should be fine.

3. ThornhillKurtis thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I plan on getting someone locally to replace it for $35.

Also, do you think eBay is a safe way to go? Or should I just pay the $200 my Apple Store is charging and then take the part somewhere else to get it fixed.

4. madmacfan macrumors 6502

If you are able to buy and fit the part yourself, then go for it as it will save you a lot of money. If you're not up to tackling the job yourself then getting someone locally to do the job for you is also a good option. I'd only take it to apple as a last resort, but thats just my opinion. They charge the earth to replace anything.