Will a SATA 1 work anyway?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by micheleb, Feb 3, 2008.

1. micheleb macrumors newbie

Now I have to install a new device into my MacPro to be used as a Photoshop's scratch disk for my photography work. I already own a Maxtor 6Y250M0 which is a SATA 1 hard drive (1,5 Gb/s). Reading the MacPro manual it seems I can't put it because the manual says it only works with SATA 2 (3 Gb/s) or SAS. Do you think I will break anything if I try to put my 1,5Gb/s inside?

I have also to add a PCI card to expand USB and FireWire ports, which one should I get? Suggestions?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

SATA is fully backwards compatible. All SATA 3Gbps ports support drives with a SATA 1.5Gpbs interface.

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Whilst on the subject about PCI / USB cards, can you use any pci card or do they have to be mac specific?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

1) It has to be PCIe (PCI Express), not PCI or PCI-X.

2) It has to have Mac drivers available, either built in or provided by the manufacturer. If you want to be able to boot of connected devices it has to have drivers at an EFI firmware level.

5. micheleb thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the best manufacturer for these stuff? Just need a PCI card with more USB2 and FireWire ports...

6. micheleb thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the best manufacturer for these stuff? Just need a PCI card with more USB2 and FireWire ports...