Will a screen protector be necessary for the iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilvenom, Sep 12, 2014.

1. lilvenom macrumors member

Is the glass on the new iPhone 6 going to be any stronger or more scratch resistant than the iPhone 5? Is it still necessary to buy a screen protector or are we at the point yet where they're not needed anymore?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. Kaizen macrumors member

It's not sapphire, if that's what you're asking

4. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You don't need one unless you are super clumsy and hard on your devices. I've never ever had a scratch. iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad Air etc...

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think the only time I ever scratched an iPhone display was my original iPhone while trying to, get this, put on a screen protector. I tried to get a little speck of dust off the display before putting the protector down and put a tiny knick near where the time is displayed. I think my nephews put a couple of small scratches on an iPad 2, but otherwise my iDevice displays have survived everything. I've had nightmares about cracking them, but haven't.

6. lilvenom thread starter macrumors member

I'm not concerned about cracking - screen protectors don't do anytthing for that. It's more just the tiny little scratches that past iPhones have accumulated through being in my pocket, etc

7. bisnicks macrumors regular

If you live in an area with a lot of sand, possibly because it could get in your pocket and scratch the screen or if you are prone to dropping it a lot. I've never used screen protectors and had minimal to no scratches. I'd much prefer touching the screen than some plastic protector.

8. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I've always used a screen protector on my iPhones. I can hardly tell they're on so they don't bother me and it just gives a peace of mind that little scratches won't happen.