Will a screen protector mess up my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fireshot91, Jun 19, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So did anybody get any solid information yet?

My 3GS just arrived, and I opened it right now. I'm about to take the plastic off, but don't want to touch the screen without my screen protector being on.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm kind of wondering the same. I'd rather not use a screen protector at all, but one came with my case, so I'm trying to decide if I should install it.

And you're not going to harm the screen by 'touching it without a screen protector'.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I know, I just don't want to touch the brand new screen without a protector on it.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Why? It's built for it. :p

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I know, but still. I just have OCD about this stuff.

I finally read the manual-

"Some iPhones have an oleophobic coating on the screen that repels oil left by your hands and face. If your iPhone has such a coating, contact with abrasive surfaces will diminish the effectiveness of this coating...."

Does that mean no screen protectors?

6. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

Hmm, that's interesting. I've been debating whether or not to put on my other Power Support Anti-Glare... the screen is alright, but it doesn't "repel" all the smudges, but I think it's a little better in comparison to the 3G.

7. zoeconner macrumors regular

I bought mine from att. It was made for the 3g s. Said it on the box. If it screws it up..Warranty

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Relax.

9. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

I was going to get a military-grade screen cover until they said the 3GS has a special coating. Don't really want to negate the benefits of it, so I'm waiting to test it for a while before I get anything.

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

The screen protectors will not void the warranty, most are static cling. The screen protector is an added benefit, especially if you just put the iPhone in your pocket, it helps prevent the screen from getting nicks and scratches from loose change, keys, etc,etc..

Yes, I am putting one on.

11. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

I just put my Power Support Anti-Glare on.

Except...I put it a lil' bit tilted towards the bottom. Crap.

*Gets tape and fixes*

12. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Crap!

I dropped my screen protector (Face down) on carpet.

Can I just rinse it with water or something?

13. Claypidgeon macrumors member

I've had my 1st Gen iPhone since launch day, and have no scratches on the phone's face. The vast majority of the time I've had no screen protector on it. The week or so I did have a screen protector on it, I got tired of it because it felt "sticky" and didn't allow my fingers to slide around on the face as easily as just having it "naked". The iPhones face is made out of glass, not some cheap plastic or something. My wife's iPhone lives loose in her purse (completely naked) rumbling around with all kinds of crap and the screen still looks fine as well.

As for putting my phone in my pocket with "loose change and keys"... that's not something I do with a $700 device... but that's just me.

Especially with the new coating on the 3Gs, I would *not* cover it up.

14. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

And by this, I meant the sticky side. Can I wash the sticky side with water and it'll still keep it's stickyness?

Again, I have a static-cling-on one.

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

No... Toss it and get another. You'll be wasting a lot of time trying to use it. :eek:

16. ej2zo macrumors member

so is everyone putting on their protective screens??

17. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I used one religiously on my 1gen. Running right now with the GS bare screened. Want to see what the coating does.

But I am interested in anyone finds a good screen protector that doesn't mess up the the coating.

Perhaps someone will come out with a screen protector that has the coating as well! :rolleyes:

18. dagomike macrumors 65816

If anything, a screen protector should protect the coating.

19. ok3wire macrumors member

Given that the Power Support protectors are sold directly from the Apple store, I can't imagine they would do any harm to the 3GS screen.

20. ej2zo macrumors member

why would it mess up the coating if its labeled "compatible" in the online store?

21. MK25toLife macrumors regular

What's the consensus on this? I bought some anti-glare protection ahead of time. Don't know if I should open it or not. :confused:

22. xleedaniel macrumors member

dont use it. i just fawked up on mine -_- how gay... i have to go back and wait in line to exchange a F-CKING screen protecetor

23. Switz213 macrumors 6502

What good is the coating if you are using a screen protector? /fail

24. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I put mine on. Apple added the 3GS compatible icon on the Power Support Crystal films. I'm pretty sure them and the anti-glare use the same "adhesive".

25. iCHIO macrumors member

Got two in a pack?