iPhone X Will a screen protector protect my screen without a case?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, May 29, 2019.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

i have tried multiple cases and really couldn’t find one that didn’t hinder my usage of the phone. I have an iPhone X, if I put a screen protector/Zagg on it will it protect the screen from shattering/cracking if dropped without a case?

Do they make one for the back? Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The zagg protector only offers good protection from scratches. All bets are off in a drop. The laws of physics is what rules then and case offers much better protection.

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

No, you need a case with a lip to protect the display. Just like you need a case with a lip to protect the rear camera.

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What’s the cost to replace the rear camera or back glass?

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

$549

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Holy crap! That’s insane. Can you recommend a super thin case?

7. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Does the Belkin Invisiglass offer much more protection than any of the other brands?

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sedio Surface is the thinnest I have found and gives a clean grip like the top of a Thinkpad. Protects from scratching but would not in a high drop.

No way would I try to use my iPhone without a case on it.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What about the Apple Silicone case?

10. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I use my iPhone 8 with a clear silicone case which has a lip on it. I also use a glass screen protector. I have dropped it a few times with no damage but I can’t guarantee that in all instances. Like you I hate using a case especially the bulky ones so I take my chances.

I have in the past dropped an iPhone 6s, same type glass protector and silicone case. Result was the screen protector cracked but not my iPhone. Anyway your mileage may vary.

11. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

I don't like the debris and resistance of a silicone case on my X. I've had the legit Apple leather case on mine since I bought it and I'm very satisfied with it. I can't say ive had any real drops with it but I like the simple feel of it. But then again I have it naked probably 50% of the time.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I hate gummy silicone cases as they tend to get debris between the case and the phone and abrade the finish on the phone. They do give great grip and a little bit of drop protection. Apple's silicone case are better than most.

13. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I noticed when I press on the lip of the silicone case it easily pushes it down and to the side, isn’t it going to do this if it gets dropped?

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Not really. You want a glass protector that's relatively thick and with painted edges.

7D-Full-Cover-protective-Glass-For-iPhone-6-7-8-6S-Plus-X-glass-flim-iphone.jpg

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

So I shouldn’t have spent $40

16. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It's your standard $1 or $2 piece of glass you can buy from AliExpress with the Belkin markup. They have a lifetime warranty included in the price. I know someone with a Belkin glass and they've used the warranty a half dozen times, replacing it every time it cracked.

17. Newtons Apple, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The only thing that will really protect your device from multiple drops is something thick, especially on the corners. It should also lip around the screen to help if it lands face down. Hate what the cases do to the sleek iPhone but if you want it protected, it will never be pretty.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Look at the Spigen Liquid Armor case. I absolutely love it. Thin, lightweight and has a lip for screen protection.