Will a Seagate FreeAgent Go portable HD for PC work on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Prhymeate, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Prhymeate macrumors member

I have this drive: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-gb/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_go/

which says on it "Auto backup, encrypt and sync software for PC".There is also a Mac version here:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/external/freeagent/freeagent_go_mac/

I don't have my mac yet, it's on it's way. I wanted to know if I can just use my current 'for pc' drive in my mac if I connect it up and format it? I can't tell if the difference between the pc and mac versions is just to do with how they are pre formatted and the software that comes with them, or if i can just format the pc version with my mac and use that.

Basically, I just want my music and videos on a portable drive that I can move between my mac and pc. Is there a better way?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's will work perfectly. The only difference is that PC version comes with some PC crapware and Mac version comes with Mac crapware. Those apps are totally useless, OS X has everything you need already

3. Prhymeate thread starter macrumors member

Thanks :) I just noticed that one other difference between the pc and mac version is the mac one also comes with firewire. Still, as long as I can use my current one I don't mind too much.

4. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Everything will work just fine, just be careful and make sure that it's either formatted FAT32 or Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), as you will not be able to write to an NTFS drive with a Mac. :)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With NTFS-3G you can ;)

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

and don't use hfs-plus (Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)) if you want to be able to access the drive directly from windows.

unless you want to buy macdrive

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HFSExplorer is free alternative

8. davidoff123 macrumors newbie

Okay, so i'm planning to buy a Seagate FreeAgent Go portable disc to use with my PC and Mac.

What are the options here? I either need FAT32 (witch sucks) or OSX Extended?

Will my Windows 7 PC will recognize the OSX Extended drive?

And... what about NTFS-3G how do I use that on my Mac and PC?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Windows can read and write Apple's HFS+ format with the help of third party commercial software MacDrive. Virtually every Winodws computer in the installed base reads and writes NTFS. NTFS-3G allows MacOS X to read, write, and format NTFS drives. With it, my Mac can format thumb drives as NTFS--something that none of my Windows computers can do.