Will a second iphone delete my contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TimSandhu, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TimSandhu macrumors newbie

I managed to lose my iphone 3G yesterday and following this, my wife decided to have hers backed up just in case. We both have our individual accounts which are recognised by itunes.

Am I correct in assuming that music is shared but address book contacts are kept separate? I'd hate to wipe my phone's backup before the replacement arrives and I am able to restore and recover all my data.

Can I safely backup and upgrade my wife's phone (to OS4.1) without worrying about my profile being wiped?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If your contacts are synced to your computer and you are using the same user account, then the addresses will be coming from the same address book. If you have a backup of your old phone on your computer you will be able to restore your new phone from the backup when you activate it and all of your contacts will be there. I hope this helps to some extent. I'm not sure about all the details on your particular scenario.