Will a second video card help performance on only one monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iMpathetic, Mar 22, 2008.

1. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, this is kind of a dumb question. I have a Radeon 8500 in a Power Mac G4 that I'm repairing. I have a PCI Radeon 7000, and I was wondering, if I put it in too, would having two GPUs affect performance even though the monitor was only attached to the 8500?

Thanks...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Apple still isn't one for letting users combine the power of graphics cards; but as it's a niche market, it makes sense, I guess.

What I plan to do (with my CONFIRMED* NEHALEM MAC PRO) is get two of whatever card is the midrange one (probably 9800 GT; you heard it here first!) and run one of my monitors off of each of them.

On a Mac, that's the way to go if you want more power than one card can provide.

*Confirmed for me because I get to go on the Taylor University Freshman Irish Studies Program and will be in Ireland for the latter half of this year. Because of this, I do not need to buy my Mac Pro over the summer, since there's no way I will lug that thing across the Pond. I'll be able to wait for Nehalem and buy my Mac Pro over J-term.

3. iMpathetic thread starter macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Okay.

I think I'll be buying four or five CRTs to use with all of the cards I've stuck in the poor thing.... :D

Radeon 8500+Radeon 7000+Rage Pro= Goodness.

4. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

No, it will make it slower due to the extra resources used to drive the unused card.