Will a series 4 work without an iphone?

JLD94

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Texas
Ok guys serious question here. Will a series 4 watch work well without an iphone, but say maybe an ipad?

Let me explain. I really like the series 4 because of the health features, specifically heart features detection/ecg, but I don't have an iphone. I am in need of a new tablet in the next couple of months, so I guess my main question is if I bought an ipad and a series 4 at the same time would the watch work well, specifically the heart monitoring features without having an iphone and just an ipad? Or should I just wait to get a watch at the end of the year when I would end up getting an iphone?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thanks, I had been searching in various places but didn't see anywhere I thought was clear and direct.
Yup. For example, the only way you can tell the watch which Wi-Fi to connect to it via your phone… It passes the settings onto the watch.

danny842003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
The Apple Watch is an accessory for the iPhone.
I’m not saying it’s a bad product and I love mine but don’t be under any illusions about it being a standalone product.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Apple does not allow the Apple Watch to go without the iPhone. It’s wholly dependent on it.

From set up to updates and everything in between needs the iPhone.