Will a silicone case for the first Touch work for the new one?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by pismodude2, Sep 10, 2008.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I have a couple of nice (and very flexible) cases that I think will work for the new one. Anyone think I will have a problem there?

2. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I've been wondering about this too. Asked yesterday if anyone knew the dimensions of the old Touch vs. the new one. ...no one knew.

I think I discovered the dimensions were exactly the same, but .5 mm thicker. However this is Wiki-info, so it could be spotty. I am pretty sure all the connections are the same, so holes should line up.

However I am not taking a chance, and waiting for definite confirmation.

3. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Anyone with the new Touch feel like filling us in? Please? Pretty please with an iPod on top?

4. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Only problem is you can't get at external volume control

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I was able to put my new iPhone in my old Roots leather case. It fit but ultimately I had to get an iPhone case because the light sensors were in a different spot on the new iPhone. So .... the new Touch would be able to fit in an old Touch silicone case. You should still be able to us the volume buttons on the side of the new Touch by pressing on the side.

Why not just buy a new case on Ebay when they become available. I'd be surprised if they aren't available already.

Cheers.

6. Craazzzyyyy Cal macrumors newbie

Craazzzyyyy Cal

All you have to think about is the new volume buttons that will not be able to be used unless taken out of case.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If it's silicone you should be able to push them to activate through the case. It's a mechanical type rocker switch so in theory....

8. citi macrumors 65816

citi

All my old cases fit the my new Touch perfectly and because I use the silicon cases, the volume button work.

9. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea .. in fact .. the case that I'm using for my iPhone 3G is silicone and the volume buttons are covered (with bumps on the silicone to indicate where the volume buttons are).

10. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

That's a yes folks, old silicon cases work with new iPT. It's a little loose around the edges, you can't feel the tapered back, and you have to sort of know where the volume control buttons are because you can't see them.

I'm still getting a new case when they become readily available, but until this case (it has a hard exterior and a soft, shock absorbing interior) is back in stock, I'll stick with the old case.