Will a single 4gb work with the Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by deepakvrao, Jan 30, 2012.

1. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Or do I have to have 2+2gb? Planning to get the cheapest Mini and only upgrade the RAM to 4gb.

Was thinking of getting this

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/1333SAM3S4GB/

Also, The Mini that I buy will have 1gb X 2, and my daughter has an iMac with 4gb. Would it be possible to put the 1gb cards in her iMac? I suppose the iMac has 2+2gb?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As stated by simsaladimbamba, we need to know what versions of the iMac you have.

The mac mini will run with just 1 4GB memory stick, but will take a small hit (usually less than 10% at peak processing) because you will not be running dual channel memory (i.e. same size/speed ram in both slots).

As for the iMac, if the iMac is in the last couple of revisions, they have 4 memory slots and therefore you should be able to put the two 1GB sticks in with the 2 2GB sticks already in her iMac. However, older iMacs only had 2 slots (and some even 1 if I am not mistaken), and many of the older ones ran DDR2 RAM rather than today's DDR3 and thus wouldn't be compatible.

3. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, my mistake.
    Planning to buy the 2011 Mini with the Core i5 and 2gb RAM, and the iMac is also the 2011 with the Core i5 and 4gb RAM.

----------

Was actually wondering if you can put in 1gb cards when it has existing 2gb cards.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can put one or two 4 GB RAM sticks into the Mac mini.
    You can also put one 1 GB RAM stick into it, but currently 8 GB of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM* costs less than 50 USD (Indian prices surely vary).

* Mac mini and iMac both use that RAM.