Will a software app for a power PC install on Intel imac running SL

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Got a question here or looking for some help. Not sure how to ask this, will try and go into much detail without straying to much from what I'm trying to ask. And hopefully I'm in the right part of the forum. OK, that said, have this old mercury pro burner (FireWire), gotta be from about 10 to 15 yrs ago, was gonna use with a g3 that was here. This devise came with a cd I thought maybe were drivers. At the time my work or job took me away from ever really getting to use it, has been until very recently so never really got used it or really check it out but will say I do remember using on another machine (was a G4) but don't remember using the CD. Made a mix of music cd, create a fold, devise showed up on desktop, dropped folder in, it worked. Me being, with my lack of knowledge at the time was surprized but it worked thought it should. Alright flash forward today, still have the burner, the CD with the app's (which thought were drivers btw) but now an Intel Mac. So having some time these days I got checking this burner out, wanted to first see if still worked and how. I hooked it up and all is good, so now got wondering, whats up with CD that got with it (which I had put in burner to see if the burner worked forgetting Intel and power PC difference) but what was on the cd showed up was able to read, and looked like software on it. While was reading it and going through saw instructions to install but remembered I had different machine from when I got this so didnt procede (looked in system requirements was no help) Was thinking a lost cause but got reading about SL and Rosetta, which pretty sure had foresight to install, check, showing I have it. Anyways, anyone have any thoughts and is Rosetta what's gonna help me do this? Or will it just no install (didnt want to try, didnt know what would happen) idk, sorry to bother on if this if waste of time (from time gone by) or not but learning as I go if any thoughts ty in advance

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If it is a universal binary, Rosetta isn't needed at all. If it is a PPC-only binary, Rosetta will interpret PPC instructions into x86 instructions so the software runs on the computer.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The install CD is probably just burn software, like Burnz, or something similar. The Mercury Pro was designed to be used with a Mac, so probably all you need to do is plug it in to a Firewire port, no drivers needed for that. CDs or DVDs should mount when you insert them in the tray. The software would be needed when you want to burn a disk. You PROBABLY can burn a music CD from iTunes on that old Mac without needing extra software installed.
You can search for the software on the installer CD, some apps may still be available (updates, etc), but you should be able to burn disks with any burning software that will run on your Mac.

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Thanks so much, been going through things there, seeing what's what, maybe useful etc. Was just checking it out, CDs had here showed up (desktop) but the dvd s, found 2 of them so far, , did not show. Idk, gotta look into further, maybe missing something, or its dvd, was gonna read up for now. Do remember using burner at least once, remember worked effortlessly least for music disk (BTW cool part, remember it giving me updates as space needed, used etc during process). On the app, ty and if maybe i can install, thank you, also on doing search, yes wouldn't hurt to do

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Got a question here or looking for some help. Not sure how to ask this, will try and go into much detail without straying to much from what I'm trying to ask. And hopefully I'm in the right part of the forum. OK, that said, have this old mercury pro burner (FireWire), gotta be from about 10 to 15 yrs ago, was gonna use with a g3 that was here. This devise came with a cd I thought maybe were drivers. At the time my work or job took me away from ever really getting to use it, has been until very recently so never really got used it or really check it out but will say I do remember using on another machine (was a G4) but don't remember using the CD. Made a mix of music cd, create a fold, devise showed up on desktop, dropped folder in, it worked. Me being, with my lack of knowledge at the time was surprized but it worked thought it should. Alright flash forward today, still have the burner, the CD with the app's (which thought were drivers btw) but now an Intel Mac. So having some time these days I got checking this burner out, wanted to first see if still worked and how. I hooked it up and all is good, so now got wondering, whats up with CD that got with it (which I had put in burner to see if the burner worked forgetting Intel and power PC difference) but what was on the cd showed up was able to read, and looked like software on it. While was reading it and going through saw instructions to install but remembered I had different machine from when I got this so didnt procede (looked in system requirements was no help) Was thinking a lost cause but got reading about SL and Rosetta, which pretty sure had foresight to install, check, showing I have it. Anyways, anyone have any thoughts and is Rosetta what's gonna help me do this? Or will it just no install (didnt want to try, didnt know what would happen) idk, sorry to bother on if this if waste of time (from time gone by) or not but learning as I go if any thoughts ty in advance
Holy giant blocks of text, Batman!

Just some friendly advice... you might want to try breaking that up into paragraphs to make it easier to read and comprehend. A giant block of text is like a text mosaic, and it all bleeds together. That's why paragraphs exist... to break it up.

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Yeah I know but I thought I did for some reason it didn't take. Use to know how to write better at oneone time, gonna have re-educate myself on it. Lot of things are coming back to me., so sorry on that. BTW was just looking at why my cd shows up but nothing, in the middle but ATM think might be my pref. settings​

Last edited:

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
It's not a problem... as we all have different strengths. All I was trying to say is that when you ask for help it would help your words if they were more readable. All the best in solving this. I have no experience with this to offer, so I was just trying to help your communication a bit. :)

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
As far as the install, looks like it worked for now, it's sitting my app's folder. As far as DVD's, cleaning up em up made the difference, how this writing template works, for ease of reading words, looking into. Thanks for time and help​

Reactions: timidpimpin