Will a strange fan noise be under warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeeflyboy, Jun 21, 2009.

1. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

I have a 2 month or so old MBP, and just recently one of the fans has started making a braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa noise. It's not very loud, but sat in a quiet room I can hear it, especially at night, and it's quite irritating.

It's definitely one of the fans, because the noise speeds up with SMC Fan control.

Will this be covered, or will only a failed fan be considered a warranty item? I don't have an apple store particularly near me so before i try to go to one I wanted to be sure. I'm also just worried that in a store the noise will seem almost imperceptible... anyone else had similar problems resolved?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could try and get it covered, but I have a hard time seeing them replacing a fan that isn't technically broken.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yes, it will be covered for sure.

best way to make sure this gets taken care of is use a fan monitor program, such as smc or fan control (supports logging) and log the fan speeds.

if you have any trouble feel free to pm me and i can make you a case number to have it taken care of.

4. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the kind offer - I see you're in canada though, I'm UK based so I assume that won't work really!

Can I ask what would be the purpose of logging the fan speeds? They seem to be in sync in terms of rpm, it's just one makes a bit ticking noise now for some reason.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

any noise will be covered, fan speeds can be important to show wether the fan is on its way out.

6. zeeflyboy thread starter macrumors regular

okay, i'll start logging them and keep an eye on it.

It'll be a while before i can go to an apple store anyway.

Thanks for the help!

7. iEric macrumors 6502a

That is definitely the sign of a dying fan. Don't wait to get it fixed..because for it to die completely might take a while. I changed both my fans on my MBP.