Will a Tiger Macbook Pro sell?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epsilon88, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm planning to put my Tiger MacBook pro up for sale on Ebay. However, I noticed that nearly all of them listed currently have Leopard or Snow Leopard. Will a Tiger laptop sell, or for less? If not, then should I purchase a retail version of Leopard (~130), or an upgrade DVD (~70)? But then wouldn't I need the original install disks if I did buy the upgrade DVD?

Thanks!

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what are the specs. If the specs are good, and the price is right, a bidder might buy it for the intention of putting leopard or snow leopard on it.

3. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

120 GB, ~2.33 ghz, 2 GB RAM, perfect condition. If a bidder bought it, do you think that getting a higher bid would outweigh the extra money spent on upgrading to Leopard?

4. a350 macrumors regular

5. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that's a great idea! But Apple seems to imply that you have to buy a $170 Mac box set in order to upgrade to Snow. Probably just a gimmick to earn some extra bucks? Here's the exact quote from multiple sources:

"If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote."

6. a350 macrumors regular

That box set will upgrade iLife as well as OSX.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's been confirmed by many members here that you can use the $29 disc to install Snow Leopard even if you're on Tiger :)

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ive noticed that a lot of sellers on eBay that sell Macs that came with an older OS X version install their license of Leopard or Snow Leopard, but then dont mention if they include the install DVD as they want to keep it. so if you have to reinstall you will have to go back to the earlier OS X version. sometimes they might not even include the restore DVDs so you cant reinstall at all or run diagnostics.

what youre doing is right. just reinstall Tiger and include the restore DVDs. the buyer might be an enthusiast and not even care that it doesnt include Snow Leopard and install it himself.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The majority of people looking for a used notebook are shopping based on price. The cost of upgrading to Leopard will not increase the resale value by the same amount - most buyers probably have very little idea of what "Tiger", "Leopard" and "Snow Leopard" are.