Will a US MBP work in New Zealand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tominator17, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tominator17 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, This is my first post so go easy on me;)

I am currently looking at buying a Late 2011 15 inch MBP off eBay and getting it shipped to where I live in New Zealand. at the NZ Apple store I can get a mbp for $3000 NZD (around $2300 USD) and on ebay i can get one exactly the same for $1800 USD (around $2500 NZD) which works out very favourably for me. This is the eBay seller http://myworld.ebay.com/electronic-king-inc/ They seem pretty legit with all of the positive feedback.

Now here is where you guys come, I would love to know the following. Any help is greatly appreciated no matter how large or small.

1) Would there be any voltage issues (other than needing a nz adapter for charging)?
    2) Will there be any TAX's involved during shipping, VAT etc?
    3) Will Bluetooth still work the same?
    4) Finally any other issues or infromation that is relevant?

This will be my first Mac and this is why I need your help as I haven't got a clue about these sort of things:eek:

Thanks guys for your time:)

From (HOPEFULLY) A soon to be MBP owner.;)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) No, but you might need a plug adapter.
    2) The shipper will need to fill out a customs form, so maybe.
    3) Yes.

3. afroAnt macrumors regular

1) You would need an adaptor to convert the us plug to the nz plug
    2) Depends what the seller writes. I know in aus if a seller sends in something into australia over $1000 and writes on the declaration that it is $1000 then you pay but most seller that i have dealt with on ebay would say the value is below $1000 even though i spent over $1000
    3) Yes

4. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

1) MacBook Pro's have an Auto-Switching power supply, which means they will automatically change to suit the voltage of the outlet you're using. Obviously you're aware of the adapter you'll need.

2) Customs charge for duty and GST on goods plus shipping where the value of those duties and GST is greater than or equal to $60. At NZ$2500, the GST will cost you at least $375, plus $38.07 for Import Entry Transactions Fee and MAF Biosecurity screening fee.

When your goods arrive in New Zealand you will be contacted by the freighting company to arrange clearance. For postal items, you will receive either an assessment notice advising the amount payable, or a letter requesting that you arrange clearance or produce further information.

Where an assessment notice has been issued, your goods will be released as soon as you pay the charges.

3) Bluetooth will not be affected.

4) Check out the Customs website for more information (customs.govt.nz). In all honesty, I think you'd be better off just buying from the Online Apple Store (NZ). It's less hassle and doing so means GST is already paid and your Mac will fly through Customs so you won't need to worry about doing anything. Buying through eBay will only save you a couple of dollars in the long run. Import fees + GST will total well over $400.

Yours,
    Fellow Kiwi

5. iRacer macrumors member

Like BreakGuy mentioned, you may save a few dollars buying from EBay over the apple store in nz but the gst etc may add another $400 or so. Another option if you are buying a standard 15" mbp is to get one from dse (dick smith electronics) or the good guys (Botany) when they have their 10% off apple computer sales. last week both of them were on sale. This will make a 2.2 15" mbp approx $2700 nz, which is cheaper than the eBay price with gst, shipping etc
    If you aren't in a hurry to get one straight away, I'd wait until their next sale

6. Tominator17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help, I'll probably just buy from Apple NZ and get the education discount, as i will be attending University this year.

7. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

You will need to buy an adapter for the charger which should not be too bad and they're may be some complications with getting it to New Zealand from the US.

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Check out the Refurbished store too. You might find they have some even better deals than buying from the Education store.

9. Tominator17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I emailed the seller ad he said for an extra $50 he will ship it from his warehouse in the UK, which means i wont have to pay any duties. Does anyone know why there would be no duties involved when shipping from the UK?

This is the mail I sent him and his reply.

To: electronic-king-inc
    Subject: Shipping: fredofrog333 sent a message about NEW Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 2.2 GHz 15.4" MD318LL/A i7 4GB RAM 500GB HD OS Lion #370573775722
    Sent Date: Jan-04-12 16:52:31 PST

Dear electronic-king-inc,

I am really interested in buying this MBP. I live in New Zealand and I was just wondering will I be charged import tax (by customs etc) if this is sent to me?

Thanks for your time.

- fredofrog333

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To: fredofrog333
    Subject: Re: Shipping: fredofrog333 sent a message about NEW Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 2.2 GHz 15.4" MD318LL/A i7 4GB RAM 500GB HD OS Lion #370573775722
    Sent Date: Jan-04-12 20:23:49 PST

Dear fredofrog333,

Hi,

We can ship it out from our UK warehouse for $50 more, so there should be no taxes/duties.

Thanks.
    John

- electronic-king-inc

10. skier777 macrumors 6502

Because the Queen say so?

11. Tominator17 thread starter macrumors newbie

If so, long live the Queen:D

12. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Any import into New Zealand is subject to the duties and fees of the New Zealand Customs Service as well as GST regardless of what country the item originated from.

Ultimately it's your choice to where you buy your MacBook Pro from. But your safest and most efficient choice would be the Apple Store (NZ). As I said before, it doesn't work out much cheaper to buy from sellers on eBay.

Additionally, what happens when you buy your MacBook Pro from eBay and there's something wrong with it when it arrives? Can you afford to ship it back to the United States/United Kingdom? At least Apple pay the shipping for any items you return and you're likely to see a quick resolution to your problem (whether that be a replacement or a refund). eBay introduces an entirely different playing field and it's too easy for problems to remain unresolved and you left out of pocket.