Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have a family member wanting a 5c/s and I have seen a few on craigslist the past couple days for $300-325 and I am assuming they have a bad esn, I remember reading that the iphone 5 on verizon would work on att/tmobile but wasnt sure if it would if it had a bad esn for Verizon

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I have a family member wanting a 5c/s and I have seen a few on craigslist the past couple days for $300-325 and I am assuming they have a bad esn, I remember reading that the iphone 5 on verizon would work on att/tmobile but wasnt sure if it would if it had a bad esn for Verizon

Yes it will work but I believe the 5s is the only Verizon iPhone that supports atnt LTE bands.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

I don't think that will work. To my knowledge Verizon is CDMA and operates on a different radio band and would have to have a different radio card installed.
AT&T is GSM and operates on its own radio band with a whole different radio card installed as well. You can get away with exchanging T-Mobile and AT&T sim cards but not Verizon.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yes it will work but I believe the 5s is the only Verizon iPhone that supports atnt LTE bands.

So much misinformation out there. First of all the Verizon 5c will work exactly the same as the 5s. With that said, I wouldn't get my hopes up that a phone with a bad esn will be useable on a different carrier here in the USA.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
So much misinformation out there. First of all the Verizon 5c will work exactly the same as the 5s. With that said, I wouldn't get my hopes up that a phone with a bad esn will be useable on a different carrier here in the USA.

As of this moment, atnt and tmobile share their blacklist and sprint and Verizon share their blacklist. So a verizon blacklisted 5s will work on atnt.
But I was wrong on the 5c part, I thought it had the same LTE chip as the 5 that the Verizon one didn't support atnt LTE.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As of this moment, atnt and tmobile share their blacklist and sprint and Verizon share their blacklist. So a verizon blacklisted 5s will work on atnt.
But I was wrong on the 5c part, I thought it had the same LTE chip as the 5 that the Verizon one didn't support atnt LTE.

I know you are just trying to be helpful, but you need to stop passing out partial info. It doesn't matter if Sprint and Verizon share blacklisted devices, neither carrier will activate the other carrier's phones under any circumstances. As for cdma and gsm ... the 5c and the 5s have both here in the US. Even so, getting a Verizon phone with a bad esn activated on either AT&T or T Mobile is not likely. On the other hand, a Verizon devices with a good esn, will work on AT&T and T Mobile.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I talked to the guy and it is active and his friend stopped paying the bill. He said he would take 275 and hopefully it would work in the scenario

mclld

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Maybe but I would call verizon to see if it has been reported stolen before I bought it

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Maybe but I would call verizon to see if it has been reported stolen before I bought it
If you're meeting the seller in person, meet at a Verizon store so you can check that with the actual phone present. And if they won't meet at a Verizon store, don't buy it.

NickRichyRich

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
From what I understand it will work being since the iPhone is a global phone. The thing to check though is to make sure the model phone that you want supports all the bands that AT&T is using.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
If you're meeting the seller in person, meet at a Verizon store so you can check that with the actual phone present. And if they won't meet at a Verizon store, don't buy it.

Excellent response.

This is most likely stolen. If you ask to meet at the Verizon store and he says no, then you have your answer.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
I know you are just trying to be helpful, but you need to stop passing out partial info. It doesn't matter if Sprint and Verizon share blacklisted devices, neither carrier will activate the other carrier's phones under any circumstances. As for cdma and gsm ... the 5c and the 5s have both here in the US. Even so, getting a Verizon phone with a bad esn activated on either AT&T or T Mobile is not likely. On the other hand, a Verizon devices with a good esn, will work on AT&T and T Mobile.

Why would his situation not work? If atnt and Verizon don't share blacklists then the blacklisted verizon 5s will work of atnt...

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, it will work without any issues. A buddy of mine does this. Trolls CL for dirt cheap bad ESN VZW phones and picks them up cheap and then sells them to TMo/AT&T users. He's currently using a bad ESN GN3 on his ST line. He only paid $250 for the phone. It's been a few months now.

Before that, he had a bad ESN 5C. LTE worked with this ST sim in it.

However, the phone is technically considered stolen, so I would suggest AGAINST it.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
bad ESN's will prevent the phone from activating on a CDMA network. if will have no effect on the GSM portion of the radio. an att user just needs to pop in their SIM card and go. unless the IMEI is blocked, there wont be an issue.

theres alot of misinformation and people guessing in this thread. some of you sound so sure, that you are giving the info out as if you believe youre right.

and the phone may not be stolen, it could simply be his friend didnt pay the bill and doesnt want to deal with it anymore. sure, theres a chance its stolen, but it doesnt mean it definitely is. personally, i wouldnt buy a phone that has a bad ESN. it just kills the resale value, plus that one important question of "is it stolen" would bother me.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas

If it's reported stolen I believe it won't get service with ATT or Tmobile here in the US.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
If it's reported stolen I believe it won't get service with ATT or Tmobile here in the US.

theoretically if the cross-carrier IMEI blacklisting is properly working, then yes. but even though its apparently implemented, i dont know how well it works.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Verizon iPhone 5 will not support AT&T LTE Bands. Yes Verizon uses CDMA, but LTE data services are partitioned thru the SIM card. The VZW sim card isn't there for sho.

If you use a Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT, you'll be stuck with "4G" HSPA+, which on AT&T means anything from 0.1Mbps-12Mbps.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

Clear listing of all the LTE bands per model of phone.

To answer the OP question, a Tmo/AT&T SIM card will work. But the phone will never work on VZW again.

wmdunn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Verizon iPhone 5 will not support AT&T LTE Bands. Yes Verizon uses CDMA, but LTE data services are partitioned thru the SIM card. The VZW sim card isn't there for sho.

If you use a Verizon iPhone 5 on ATT, you'll be stuck with "4G" HSPA+, which on AT&T means anything from 0.1Mbps-12Mbps.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

Clear listing of all the LTE bands per model of phone.

To answer the OP question, a Tmo/AT&T SIM card will work. But the phone will never work on VZW again.

The OP did not ask about an iPhone 5, he specifically referred to a 5c/5s. A Verizon 5c/5s will work on AT&T and T-Mobile and receive LTE just fine ... documented on this forum, many times! AND, it can be activated again on Verizon at any time! This is all an aside from the original intent of the post, but again ... stop posting mis-information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.