Will a wacom Bamboo pen graphics tablet fulfill my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zedsdead185, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Zedsdead185, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm a graphic designer working in house for an electronics company. I've only just recently however started having a serious go at also doing some art time freelance stuff out of my working hours. I tend to use my wacom Intuos 3 tablet a lot for my work, and even if i don't always need the full features of the pen for illustrations, photoshop and other adobe programs tend to feel a bit alien without it. I have been carrying it back and forth between work and home, however, due to my commute, and the size of the tablet, i would rather keep my intuos 3 at work and use a different tablet at home.

I was hoping on only spending a tiny amount as i don't really have the money for a new intuos at the moment. I noticed that the wacom bamboo pen is currently £39.99 on amazon and was wondering whether it would be worthy as a backup/secondary tablet for a professional user? I obviously don't expect it to surpass (or even equal) the quality of the intros, but that doesn't matter too much. Can anyone shed some light as to whether it really is a no go for professionals? or will it do in my case where it will do for some light freelance work?

Just for the record, I do plan on eventually buying one of the new cintiq 13hd's for my freelancing. Though it is a bit out of my price range at the moment :p. I'm basically thinking of getting the bamboo pen as a temporary, quick and cheap alternative to make do for now.

Any help/info about the bamboo pen would be great. Especially in comparison to the intuos 3 and use in a professional environment. Thanks guys

2. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

Honestly, I kind of doubt you'd be satisfied with anything in the bamboo line if you're already used to working with the Intuos3. Could you swing a medium or small refurbished Intuos4 or 5? The large new (not refurbed/used) Intuos5s are "only" going for $400 on Amazon right now so I'd imagine you could get a used older model to tide you over within budget until you can save up enough for the Cintiq. I just don't think you'll be happy with the reduced pressure sensitivity of the bamboos. If you're only retouching photos, then, ok, but if you're actually creating your own art I'd really check out your options for staying within the Intuos line. Also and I've never used them so can't vouch for them, but Monoprice's graphic tablets have been getting amazing reviews and they are basically dirt cheap so you might want to look into that.

3. blanka macrumors 68000

I had the same though, but I ended up finding a like new A4 intuos second hand for a real good price. Now I have 2 A4 wacom Intuos' 3. Even the old ones are much better than the Bamboo's. Don't go below the 3 I would say, then you get into the real old weird-color-scheme-weird-driver territory.

4. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, thats all i needed to hear. I'd rather not splash out on a new (or even second hand) intuos at the moment so might wait a little longer before I buy something. Might even be really patient, keep travelling with my intuos for now, and save hard for the cintiq.

Anyway, obviously the bamboo would have been a waste of money for what i needed. Thanks for the heads up guys! I appreciate it.

5. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Have you checked Ray Frenden's blog yet? He reviews a lot of different digital tablets:
    http://frenden.com/tagged/review
    I was going to get a Monoprice tablet until I read his review about Huion 610's and got one for $55 on Amazon. Twice the sensitivity levels of the comparably sized Monoprice tablet at the same price. As good as an Intuos 4, I love it. Now I'm saving up for a Yiynova MSP19U --or the next model, based on Frenden's reviews. It's comparable to a Cintiq but only $600.