Will a white (nVidia) Macbook perform as well as a G5 powermac (any type)?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yurtal, May 9, 2009.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

Just as the topic states.

I am involved in a live recording setup that uses pro tools, digi 002 and an octopre connected via firewire. It runs on a G5 powermac, which isn't mine so I don't know too much about it but it records 14 tracks in pro tools without skipping a beat.

I currently own a unibody 2.4 macbook that is really great but have ever so slowly begun to regret the purchase simply due to the lack of firewire. I have no need for FW now but I know I will run into it some time in the future.

The reason I ask this question is that I am thinking of selling my unibody macbook and buying one of the new white macbooks simply for the firewire access, as in the future I may need to use it as a replacement for the recording setup if ever the powermac plays up.

So would the 2.0 white macbook run just as well to a G5 powermac (lets just say the fastest powermac available), which would make the switch to the white MB a good choice, or will the MB struggle with tasks the powermac is used for (or similar)

Cheers.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

4. vadhar macrumors newbie

Firewire Adapter

Why don't you buy a firewire adapter they cost under 100 and you can keep your unibody macbook?

5. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know those adaptors existed?

Could you post a link to this product?

thanks man.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The only adapter ever posted around here is for PC only, and is merely a FireWire-->USB port conversion. It still won't provide the increased power output that FireWire can over the USB connection.

7. vadhar macrumors newbie

link

I found a site where you can create a custom adapter for around 65 bucks. I believe it works for osx but would make sure. Heres the site.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

USB<>firewire adapters are severly handicapped pieces of equipment and usually reserved for video only work. Certainly won't work for audio. I know that sounds counter-intuitive but that's the way the land lies.

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Either I'm totally blind right now, or they don't do FW-->USB. Can you point it out on there?

When you do the custom tool, and you click USB as the first port, and then for the 2nd one FireWire has "incompatible" under it.

10. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I agree, the Quad G5 will still perform better. @ the OP, as long as the computer you're using right now isn't at Quad G5, I'd say it's safe to say you're good to go.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1. Continue using the PM.
    2. Save your money in the meanwhile.
    3a. If/when PM breaks, see how much to fix, or
    3b. better yet, have the owner fix it.:D
    4. When PM won't work anymore, or is too expensive to have fixed, or doesn't have replacement parts available,
    5. Take money from 2 and buy a refurbed MBP.

6. Very important..don't let wife or GF know about #2.;)