Will Absinthe install 5.1.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SSpiro, Jul 14, 2012.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I am on 5.0.1 and about to upgrade to 5.1.1.. I want to try upgrading without wiping and resetting to factory 5.1.1.

Will Absinthe install 5.1.1? Or do I have to get it through itunes, forcing the wipe?

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

? when you upgrade your iOS, it doesn't wipe anything... (but maybe I'm reading this wrong or something)... anyway Absinthe WILL NOT install 5.1.1, you'll need itunes- but be sure to back up first on itunes and then wipe (see the instructions on installing absinthe**) that way once you JB, you can just restore and get all your stuff back (and keep the jailbreak)

I don't think it's necessary to wipe, but the process goes by much faster if you just wipe

** Absinthe 2.0

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I'm jailbroken though.

I was hoping on avoiding the wipe, but i guess its not doable.

I'll take the 5.1.1 upgrade from itunes and reJB

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Better to make a backup, restore to 'clean' 5.1.1, jailbreak and than restore your backup.

Absinthe uses part of the itunes restore/backup function, if you jailbreak with a lot of data on it data might get corrupted, thats why the Devs all recommend you restore.

5. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

In same boat- hate to wipe it

So would you say 5.1.1 is worth effort to go up from 4.1?
    Tx

6. nerdybooboo macrumors member

nerdybooboo

I am novice to jailbreaking too. So if you back up and restore, you will get all the paid apps from cydia after updating to 5.1.1. via itunes? Tks in advance.

7. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

not cydia... the app store

8. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Totally.

All your paid apps will be there in your Cydia account ready for you to reinstall.
    I'd add to the discussion, that I'd not advice using any backup solutions.
    While reinstalling apps (regular AppStore apps that is) in batch is the way iTunes does it (because they're sandboxed by design anyway, just put them in a catalog and copy their contents in the right location), installing Cydia apps in batch is a NO NO, because most of them will install other libraries and dependencies and they don't follow any of Apple's game so you might have MAJOR instability issues.

One thing I noticed is that an iTunes backup will hold your Cydia apps data (but you might wanna use a Cydia backup app just in case for DATA only) but you certainly are better off jail breaking and installing one tweak at a time, respiring, rinse and repeat.