will accidentall email be sent upon reboot? (

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willcapellaro, Oct 20, 2011.

1. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

I accidentally just sent a reply all email from my iphone (iOS 5), had a little heart attack, but was able to turn my phone off before it sent (confirmed with a CC on the email).

Now I'm afraid if I turn my phone back on, it will send automatically before I can figure out how to cancel/delete it.

Do I need to go to a place with no wifi, no cell signal, and then monkey with it?

I HAVE done some google and MR searching on this, found nothing reassuring that related specifically to my situation.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

That would probably be the best idea. I suspect you couldn't get to the outbox fast enough to stop it from going out.

Good luck.

3. theperipheral macrumors 6502

i actually did this today with a text. i sent a text to my dad not remembering what i said in the text. thankfully, although i waited 10-15 seconds after i hit send to figure out what i was going to do, it hadn't fully sent, so i shut the phone down.

then, upon restarting, it said message failed. so i just deleted it and walked away unscathed. first time i've done that in owning an iphone for 4 years.

4. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to login to your email from a PC and see if it is saved as a draft and then delete that?

5. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

If you have an AT&T iPhone, take out the micro-SIM so you don't get a cell signal. If you can, turn off your Wi-Fi router.

Or if you're fast enough, go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Heh, I forgot about pulling the SIM card. Been on Verizon for over a year now and forgot all about SIM cards.

7. dotme macrumors 6502a

Depending on your mail provider, you could also log into your webmail and change your password. Now the iPhone can't authenticate to send when you power it back on...

8. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

"Accidental email"?

Haha... "Baby, I know we're just friends, but lately I've begun to have feelings for you... mostly sexual, but I also think you're smart. Here's a picture of my penis to get things started, text me!"

9. speed4tu macrumors member

lmao!!!

10. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all

Great ideas all. I'm on Verizon but the 4S does have a Sim port, and I assume there is a card in there.

Crossposting from my craiglist thread:
    Start up in a metal file cabinet, turn on airport mode, then delete from outbox

I will probably disconnect my wifi router as well.

Unfortunately, this is much more boring than sexting.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If you REALLY don't want the email to go out with NO CHANCE of it happening, you can boot into DFU mode and restore your phone, I suppose. Extreme, but without knowing the nature of the email it might be prudent ;)

12. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I have an idea! Mail me the phone, I'll turn it on and let the email send. Then you can tell her I stole your phone and faked the entire thing to screw you over. :)

13. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Verizon does not have a sim card inside it. Since you're on verizon.. I would log into your email account from a computer and change your email password. Then when you turn on the phone quickly go into airplane mode. go into email on the device and delete the account.

15. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Your best option has been stated; log into your email on your computer and delete the email from your drafts.

16. paule350 macrumors member

I would log onto the email from my PC and change the password. then boot the phone up.

17. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

This is brilliant, seriously.

18. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, but I turned off before it was synced with exchange server. Lot of good ideas here.

19. TheNinjaJedi macrumors regular

TheNinjaJedi

Change the password to your email from a computer.

20. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed, this seems very un-Apple. But if it makes the workers' lives at Foxconn any easier, I can live with it. And I guess this means I can change carriers? Not to troll on my own post on either subject, I don't really need to know.

Meanwhile I will need to become a micro-scale drug mule to put this space to good use.

Thanks all, I will probably not be able to post results, I'm planning the "operation" later. The worst case is this gets sent, and I've warned my coworkers. All that would happen would that a client hears another client's name. That is probably a big letdown for those hoping for someting more dramatic.

But you've all given me multiply redundant options to avoid my exact issue. Crisis averted. Thanks again, all.