Will Activations be a mess? On 19th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metsjetsfan, Sep 15, 2014.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Just wondering how this will play out on 19th and if maybe better to wait.

I know the 17th on ios could be equally as bad or worse.

2. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Hopefully iOS wont be as bad as last year when everyone was frantic to get iOS 7...BUT, just to save myself the hassle I downloaded the GM and updated early.

Not sure about activations...hopefully that will be a bit smoother than pre ordering has been.

3. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Expect the worst and hope for the best. That's what I always say. It's a crapshoot whether or not the activations will be an issue. My guess would be yes since this is a pretty big release for Apple. AT&T seems to always have activation issues in one form or another.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would expect to have to fight the activation servers. And if everything goes through smoothly then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

5. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

6. trophynuts macrumors member

trophynuts

you could do what i'm doing possibly. I'm swapping to Tmo with the I6. So i'm going to the Tmo store a few days early and setting the accounts up and getting the Nano Sims. Then when my phones get here all I have to do is take out the sim that comes in it and stick the ones in that i got from Tmo (that will already be active). Then just call have my VZW numbers ported.

7. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Back when the iPhone 4 launched, I had no complications and got it activated in a minute after I got home after calling AT&T. I was surprised as there were stories on the activation woes ever since the first iPhone launched with AT&T.

8. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

(knock on wood) I only had activation issues with the original iphone, never any other time.

9. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Dont they come with preactivated sims? Am I confused on this process?

10. RyanG macrumors 6502

The GM has an expiration date. You will still have to update it via iTunes after the retail version is released albeit you don't have to do it on the 17th.

11. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

It would. It would turn your iPhone to Chinese and when you call support, they will speak Mandarin.

Sorry, I just can't let that one go.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If with AT&T and you ordered it as an upgrade, your new 6 will have a sim inside the phone.

When you turn on you new iPhone 6, it will disable your existing sim card. You do not need iTunes to get it up and running.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The GM is the same as the retail. It doesn't expire.

14. fender57 macrumors 6502

Really? Last one I bought was the 5 and since it was in store they did it for me there.

15. RyanG macrumors 6502

Yes, it does expire. Although the builds are the same, it will expire. Has happened every year on mine.

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

DId you preorder to ship to you or are you picking up at the Apple store?

If you are doing AT&T you need but turn your new phone on if you ordered it as an upgrade to your existing phone. It will then go to the cloud and start restoring your data if you backed up to the cloud.

I do a hard backup on my computer via iTunes and restore from there to make sure everything moves, including all my music!

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It does not expire..never has for me, on either my iPhone or iPad.

Are you sure you weren't on the last beta before the GM?

18. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

My thought is no and here is why.

By releasing iOS on the 17th, the 19th on a larger scale will be 6/6+ activations.

With the structure updates and fact that deliveries and purchases will be scattered throughout the day.

I think if activations aren't smooth, the issues won't be anywhere near as bad as in the past (when they were bad that is).

19. RyanG macrumors 6502

Yeap.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well, not sure what to tell you. I, along with many others, have had the GM on our phone for quite a while and it's never expired.

How could it? It's often the exact same build as the public release. Just doesn't make any sense.

21. RyanG macrumors 6502

Not sure, bad luck I suppose. Or it wasn't the GM. Not going to test it out again though :)