Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
so just wondering if i was to add a 320gb 7,200rpm hard drive to the base model 13" mbp would it void the warranty?

i ask because a 7,200rpm drive is not an optional upgrade from apple, and i remember reading somewhere around here the reason is that it runs too hot in the 13" enclosure. is this true? is it worth just using a 5,400rpm drive?

i know i could keep the old drive just in case to put back in if a problem occurs and i need to send into applecare, but thought if a new drive wouldn't make a difference to applecare then i may as well sell it.

thanks

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
No, its a user serviceable part. Instructions are in the user manual.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
No, because that, plus the RAM and the battery, are the only other things that you yourself can service without breaking the warranty. Just to be safe, buy a drive that was manufactured from Apple, and you bought from Apple.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
i wouldn't be buying from apple, i work at a premium reseller so can get good discount off our drives which are normally seagate or hitachi.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
this shouldn't be a problem....HD & Ram can be changed out by the user w/o voiding warranty

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Check with Apple

this shouldn't be a problem....HD & Ram can be changed out by the user w/o voiding warranty

I would check this with Apple as people over in the Apple Support forums (sorry Macrumors just don't want pepple to get screwed) are reporting that Apple may be saying other wise.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would check this with Apple as people over in the Apple Support forums (sorry Macrumors just don't want pepple to get screwed) are reporting that Apple may be saying other wise.

Nope, it doesn't void your warranty. If it does, then they spotted something that might have been damaged in the process and in that case you would tell them what you might have damaged but replacing HDD's are safe towards AppleCare.

iyacyas

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
Nope, it doesn't void your warranty. If it does, then they spotted something that might have been damaged in the process and in that case you would tell them what you might have damaged but replacing HDD's are safe towards AppleCare.

iLog.Genius, first off I am in anyway tying to argue as a believe 100% in what you've stated, but while this maybe true in the light of AppleCare it may not be true to this particular machine. For example on my new 24" iMac I cannot replace the drive myself without voiding the AppleCare. According to the two different AppleCare reps that I spoke to about my 24" iMac, the AppleCare does not cover items replaced by user that are not considered user replaceable items for that particular model. So as I'm with you 100% I just would like to be sure that a AppleCare rep agrees with the user replacement of a drive with the new 13" or 15" unibody Macbook Pro's.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
iLog.Genius, first off I am in anyway tying to argue as a believe 100% in what you've stated, but while this maybe true in the light of AppleCare it may not be true to this particular machine. For example on my new 24" iMac I cannot replace the drive myself without voiding the AppleCare. According to the two different AppleCare reps that I spoke to about my 24" iMac, the AppleCare does not cover items replaced by user that are not considered user replaceable items for that particular model. So as I'm with you 100% I just would like to be sure that a AppleCare rep agrees with the user replacement of a drive with the new 13" or 15" unibody Macbook Pro's.

Got it but consider this. Other than the first unibody portables where the HDD is accessible through the battery cover, which Apple computers are user-serviceable? There's no difference between the Mac Mini and iMac, both you need to get at it to open it up to switch the HDD but Apple is fine with it. Even with the iMac, if you manage to get it open without damaging anything what's Apple going to say? AppleCare is void because you opened the case even though there's nothing wrong with the machine? I don't think Apple chooses which Mac's are serviceable. If you choose to do it do it at your discretion Apple won't care unless you damage something.

crzdmniac

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
I think apple would have a hard time denying you warranty service because of this. Besides, if I take my MBP in for service, I'm certainly not leaving my hard drive in there. I'm not going to give them the opportunity to point a finger at me. I take it out, and replace it with the original. Also, that way if they want to format it, replace, etc, I won't have to worry about restoring.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
ok, thanks for the replies.

thought i'd get more to the point. i'm not asking about the hard drive, i know it's user replaceable and will not void the warranty. i'm more concerned about it being a 7,200rpm drive, as apple don't offer it as optional upgrade so maybe don't see it being allowed

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Just to be safe, buy a drive that was manufactured from Apple, and you bought from Apple.

That would be hard. Apple doesn't manufacture hard drives.

thought i'd get more to the point. i'm not asking about the hard drive, i know it's user replaceable and will not void the warranty. i'm more concerned about it being a 7,200rpm drive, as apple don't offer it as optional upgrade so maybe don't see it being allowed

It's allowed, but as soon as you take out the included hard drive it's no longer covered. So if your new one dies, you can't get it replaced under AppleCare.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
ok, thanks for the replies.

You should be fine. The smaller GB drives don't get much hotter than a 5400rpm drive. I plan on taking the one that's in my 15" MBP out and putting it in a 13" MBP when I get it next month. You may not want to put all the screws back until you start it up. I'm shooting about 50% received with vibrations that should be returned.

macjonny1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
THe only way replacing a HDD on any computer will void the warranty even if it isn't user servicable is if you damage the other parts of the computer.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Yes It Does Void Your Warranty!

I have a MacBook late 2008 unibody with upgraded WD 500 HD sent in for hinge problem, display works fine just is awkward opening and closing it....

The repair was held up when received and I got an email stating I had third party hardware, the WD 500, and it would cost me 700 dollars to put original apple part in.

I called, complained and they maintained their position.

So am having it sent back and will put original HD back in and send it right back hoping they have not just completly voided my AppleCare warr.

They really stuck it to me. Imagine paying 700 for a 200 HD!

A lot of nerve these people have and what recourse does one have, NONE!!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have a MacBook late 2008 unibody with upgraded WD 500 HD sent in for hinge problem, display works fine just is awkward opening and closing it....

The repair was held up when received and I got an email stating I had third party hardware, the WD 500, and it would cost me 700 dollars to put original apple part in.

So am having it sent back and will put original HD back in and send it right back hoping they have not just completly voided my AppleCare warr.

Then remove the hard drive before sending it in. I've done that before and my warranty was still there. However, for me, I didn't want them snooping over my files thats why I removed it.

Let's have some common sense here since you're afraid of warranty being voided.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

You got ripped off, ask them if they know about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, they cannot withhold your warranty unless they can say the hard drive you put in is the cause of your problems, in this case it isn't. It's the law, they are just trying to pull your leg and see if you'll bite, most people will and they make a quick buck that way.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Thanks for the information. It really burns me up, but I am not sure what I can do ither than call this punk kid back up and continue my verbal back and forth with me using your Magnuson-Moss warranty act information but I am afraid that would be somewhat over head and she is a "supervisor".

I am not sure if there is any higher level of support or a telephone number I can call to get an intelligent human being to discuss the idiocy of this.

By the time they ship it back and forth they could have fixed the damn hindge and called it a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.