Will adding RAM affect Applecare warranyt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac Composer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Mac Composer macrumors member

I'm thinking about maxing out my ram in my '10 MBP. Will buying RAM from OWC and me installing it have any effect on my Applecare extended warranty?

2. Mac Composer thread starter macrumors member

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'd like to add that the self-installed RAM is not covered by AppleCare so in case the RAM goes bad, Apple will not fix it. The manufacturer or seller will (at least should) though. It's recommended to keep the original parts for troubleshooting purposes and if you ever have to send it to Apple, put back the original components.

4. Jimi-Hendricks, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010

Jimi-Hendricks macrumors newbie

However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

This sentence should be printed in red capitol letters.

I wonder....... WHEN are you considered to damage your computer by doing an upgrade yourself ???

Wonder what would happen, if you install extra ram, and your logicboard stops working 2 month later.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If Apple can prove that you caused the damage (e.g. spilled something on it, clear marks of dropping etcetc), then Apple won't cover it. However, at least here in Finland, the manufacturer must be able to prove that the damage was caused by the user. If it's just possible that it's been caused by the user, then they have to repair it since they cannot prove that it was 100% done by the user.