will adding ram to this machine boost performance much?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vegas-steven, Dec 26, 2008.

1. vegas-steven macrumors regular

that might sound a little crazy, but still

[​IMG]

i find myself with a lot of windows open most of the time.
    i use imovie 08 and plan on trying out final cut.
    i am using photoshop cs4 ect which complains that i dont have 2 gigs of ram.

so i think my late 2006 iMac can do 3 gigs of ram... i wonder if it has open slots for more and what configuration i should get?

i find that my free memory while running some larger programs gets pretty scarce, and sometimes it slows a tiny bit but nothing like windows ever has.

should i invest? will i see a huge boost?
    i think the graphics on this (x1600) are integrated so memory is being shared as i play games etc too.

what do you think?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Definitely, especially with integrated graphics. I just put 4GBs in my white macbook, makes general usage a bit smoother and heavy usage (logic) better too. I would get a 4gb kit just for simplicity - although you are right it will only utilise 3.3GBs.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...definitely - get the extra RAM, it should be pretty inexpensive and will make a significant difference....oh yeah!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

With those specs its going to make a massive difference, but only when you have more than one window/application open at once, to be honest i'm suprised a dual-core only shipped with 1GB of Ram but there we go, you could get another 2GB to make it 3GB total for only $20 so go for it.

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

My question is since I am considering upping my RAM also...I have a Core 2 Duo iMac with 2 GB RAM. You hear so much about matching pairs, etc, but also, my machine will only recognize 3.3 GB RAM.

If money is not the issue, am I better betting two 2 GB sticks for a total of 4 GB even though my machine will only use 3.3, or getting a 2 GB stick and replacing 1 of my 1 GB sticks for a total of 3 GB, even though they won't be matching pairs.

I don't do any real heavy work, I just get tired of occaisionally getting the beach ball.

Thanks for your input!

6. DocNYz macrumors 6502a

DocNYz

Adding RAM is always a great option for pretty much any machine, and it's insanely cheap now compared to what it was 5 and 10 years ago.

I've gotten a lot from www.crucial.com (recommended to me by an apple store employee) and so far it seems to work well (knock on wood ...) and is really, really cheap. Installation isn't that hard on most machines either, so you can save a lot of money just ordering online and then installing it yourself if you have time/care about saving money.

7. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

well ,

I have in my hand the reciept for 4 gigs of 667mhz pc5300 low latency ram... 49.99 plus tax. not bad I don't think.

I bought more than I needed, and I need to know now what should I do... do I just install the four and sit on the 1 gig?
    should I throw all 5 gigs in there?

I've read stranger stories where more ram than should be allowed is actually usable, maybe I will get lucky?

8. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

9. therealdt macrumors regular

did you check out Newegg? I bought 2GB for under 20 bucks, free shipping

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hope that is laptop memory you got there, only two laptop sized slots on the Intel iMacs.

So it'll be 4GB (2+2) or 3GB (1+2)

11. vegas-steven thread starter macrumors regular

haha no I bought desktop memory!
    patriot in fact. I thought it was desktop memory... guess I'll have to exchange it tomorrow :-(