Will Admin account get prompted for password for new app authentication?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ashwaklaw, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Ashwaklaw macrumors newbie

I want to confirm something. I run admin account. I have installed Apps and it asks me password for this.

I heard that one thing Mac uses for security is when files that might be malware, but are masked as innocent image/video/something else files, Mac will prompt user for password as it sees it is executive file.

If I'm running Admin account, would I get such warning with malicious software? If it is type that tries to hide what it is and sneak in pretending being innocent image/video file?

If I click on it, would Mac always ask if I want to run it? I have "Mac App Store and identified developers" setting in Gatekeeper.

In short: will Mac always ask me if I want to install app even if it is hiding it's executive nature?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... you will be asked to enter an admin password to install any applications outside the App Store. Whether the app has cooties or not won't matter... you will still be asked for the password to install.

3. KALLT macrumors 601

Only if the file is ‘quarantined’. This happens when you downloaded it with a browser that supports this, such as any of the big browsers. You have to be careful with torrent programs and other programs that download media, as they may not support this. Files on external or shared drives are usually also not quarantined.

4. Ashwaklaw, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017

Ashwaklaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I'm glad to hear Mac will detect even apps trying to hide themselves. And of course to clarify - this function works even if I am using Administrator account? Not like using Administrator Account would mean Mac asks less confirmation about running/installing new apps?

Safari and Firefox would suit both then?

5. KALLT macrumors 601

Yes.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... it will still ask even if you are in an admin account.