Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trabert

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
I visited an Apple store for this answer with cash in hand and left even more confused. The manager of the store said that CS5 changed the original Adobe protocol of allowing you to install the software on your home and portable computer. Another employee thought you still could install on the two machines as long as you weren't using the software on the two machines at the same time.

To make it more confusing, on Adobe's FAQ section:
"Can I distribute a Creative Suite 5 edition across multiple users or computers?
No. The product license agreement for Creative Suite 5 does not allow you to install the components of a single suite edition across multiple computers. Refer to the End-User License Agreement for more details."
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/designstandard/faq/

Then, when you click on the End-User License Agreement, it has this at the bottom: "HOME USE OF MACROMEDIA BRANDED PRODUCTS
Notwithstanding the terms of the product license agreement included within a Macromedia branded product, when such a product is licensed through Adobe’s Open Options licensing program (not including Student Licensing, Site Licensing, and Term Licensing), the primary user of the computer on which such software is lawfully installed may install a second copy of such software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the software on the primary computer."
http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

Any current CS5 users know what the deal is? Do I need to pay even more money for the above-mentioned "open options program" just to be the sole user of the software on my home and laptop computers? That's really lame, if so.

emiljan

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Michigan
I asked the sales person at my school store the same thing. They told me as long as you own both computers you are allowed to install The creative suite on two separate computers. But you can't be using both at the same time.

This is for the student edition so i'm not sure if the rules are different for the retail version.

michaeljessup12

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
I worked as a graphic designer at home using my laptop however, I wasn't able this experience this kind of situation. I think you should pay much more for you to be sole user of the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.