Will Adobe GoLive 6.0 work on OSX 10.5.6?

Defferding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
First time poster here. :) I hope this is the right subforum to post this question.

I just recently bought a new mac, after having owned an EMac for seven years. I have some old software on my old computer, including GoLive 6.0, which I use to manage, design and maintain my website from.

I haven't had a chance to move everything on the new mac yet; will Adobe GoLive 6.0 work on 10.5.6?

I know Adobe has discontinued GoLive for Dreamweaver, I haven't been acquainted with Dreamweaver yet, is the transition going to take a lot more learning, or is there not much of a learning curve for GoLive users?

Can I buy the Dreamweaver upgrade if I have GoLive 6.0, or will I need to shell out the big bucks for the full license?

Thanks in advance!

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
GoLive 8 (CS2) will run on Leopard, and really is the last decent version of GoLive.

I still use 8 sometimes because I like they way they set up their site management features and FTP. I basically just use it in code view, and avoid layout view. The layout view tends to have a habit of changing some of your code. There were some nice features in that application though and I really like the interface. I still prefer it to Dreamweaver (if I was choosing) even though it's an aging program.

GoLive 9 is a complete disaster. I gave it a try and I swear they must have developed that version just to drive people over to Dreamweaver. It was hardly even a complete program. Everything you will read about that program on review forums is completely correct.

The bottom line is even 8 won't work forever though. I'd recommend doing what I am doing, and work on transitioning over to something like Coda. Or make the jump to Dreamweaver. While GoLive and Dreamweaver have obvious similarities, Dreamweaver to me is like a massively bloated version of GoLive. So I personally find applications like Coda closer to GoLive. But if you need the WYSIWYG layout option, you may need to look into Dreamweaver.

Defferding

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm more of a WYSIWYG guy so I may just make a jump to Dreamweaver then. For now though I'll stick with GoLive and upgrade to Adobe GoLive 8.

latterman99

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2015
GoLive 8 (CS2) will run on Leopard, and really is the last decent version of GoLive.

I still use 8 sometimes because I like they way they set up their site management features and FTP. I basically just use it in code view, and avoid layout view. The layout view tends to have a habit of changing some of your code. There were some nice features in that application though and I really like the interface. I still prefer it to Dreamweaver (if I was choosing) even though it's an aging program.

GoLive 9 is a complete disaster. I gave it a try and I swear they must have developed that version just to drive people over to Dreamweaver. It was hardly even a complete program. Everything you will read about that program on review forums is completely correct.

The bottom line is even 8 won't work forever though. I'd recommend doing what I am doing, and work on transitioning over to something like Coda. Or make the jump to Dreamweaver. While GoLive and Dreamweaver have obvious similarities, Dreamweaver to me is like a massively bloated version of GoLive. So I personally find applications like Coda closer to GoLive. But if you need the WYSIWYG layout option, you may need to look into Dreamweaver.
I never found the WYSIWYG layout in Dreamweaver to be easy to use or accurate. GoLive 6 was really great back in the day :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.