Will Airplay 2 improve video/screen mirroring from MacOS and iOS to ATV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by happygodavid, Feb 7, 2018.

1. happygodavid macrumors regular

happygodavid

When I try to Airplay a video/screen (Mac or iPhone) to ATV (4th gen), I almost always have lag/buffering issues unless I move the device right next to the ATV. Has anyone here with experience with any of the new betas had a chance to test Airplay 2 video mirroring? Is it any better?

2. waw74 macrumors 68040

Moving next to the aTV shouldn't affect it
    when using wi-fi all devices connect to your router, and not directly to each other (so signal goes laptop->router->aTV)
    so it's probably that you're moving your laptop closer to the router
    **although, with the kind of new peer-to-peer airplay, it might be doing some magic in the background and connecting wi-fi directly.

with current hardware, screen mirroring will have quality issues,
    it can't encode the image until it appears on your screen.
    there's then a trade off between keeping the images on both screens in sync and quality of the image.

Other options (like beamer) have the ability to read ahead in a video file, and build up a little buffer to handle network issues. and result in a much better image on the aTV.

3. happygodavid thread starter macrumors regular

happygodavid

Thanks for the reply. I read that airplay 2 will have “better than real time buffering,” so hopefully that will help.

As for my own issues, you may be right on moving close to the router. My router is next to the ATV, and it’s wired via Ethernet. I wonder if it’s just getting interference from all the home theater cables, speakers, etc. Hoping with airplay 2, it won’t matter!

4. waw74 macrumors 68040

everything i've seen about airplay 2 is audio only

there are actually a few different versions grouped into the airplay name

--airplay audio (formally AirTunes) - audio is re-encoded to apple lossless audio and sent to the remote device.
    --airplay video - sends a video file (or just the location of a web based file) and plays on the target device
    --airplay mirroring - encodes the screen in real time and sends it.

the problem with airplay mirroring, is it has to encode the screen in real time. and keep the images in sync.
    so your choices are have the remote display stutter a bit, or slowly build up more and more of a delay as your continue to steam.

5. LCC0256 macrumors member

I have NEVER read such an easy to understand Airplay explanation anywhere on the net or elsewhere. THANK YOU WAW74!!!