Will Airport Express extend my N-only network to G without interfering?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joelfalconer, Oct 2, 2008.

1. joelfalconer macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm considering the purchase of an Airport Express, and I wanted to ask a question before I go and lose my money on it.

I recently purchased a Time Capsule. It serves as my router and works great in any mode with any computer except my iMac. My iMac will only work smoothly in pure 5Ghz N mode. When the TC is set to mixed mode N with g/b support, the Internet drops out constantly (wireless signal is still present but the ability to load up pages and download things cuts in and out randomly), wireless backup hangs, and when my Apple TV decides to sync with the iMac the mouse stops registering most movement and all clicks (it is a wireless 2.4Ghz mouse).

I "need" the g/b access for an old Mac mini, two iBooks, and the two iPhones in the house. I know you guys in America get unlimited downloads with your iPhone plan but we get a tiny amount in Australia and after you use that up, your bill can wind up costing more than all the Apple equipment you own (slight exaggeration, but it really is bad!).

I also "need" the N access because Apple TV streaming and syncing and Time Machine backups are horrendous without it, not to mention the fact that mixed mode somehow borks my iMac.

With that long prelude out of the way, I've read that I can grab an Airport Express, plug it in to the wall on the other side of the house, and have it extend my Time Capsule's network in g/b mode without having to use mixed mode on the TC which seems to cause the problems. Is this true?

Also, would the Airport Express extend the existing network, or just channel its internet connection into a new network? Reason I ask is that once I get those iPhones back on wifi I'd love to use Remote to control iTunes and Apple TV! No more typing long passwords with that damn remote...

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I use an Airport Express to extend an existing wireless network. There's a bridge mode setting - so the AE acts like a wireless access point instead of a router. The addresses for clients connecting through the AE are still handed out by my router, which is a netgear. I think it would do exactly what you want.