Will Airport Express play nice with a Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kudukudu, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kudukudu macrumors regular

I have an old powerbook running itunes connected to my stereo using the headphone jack on the powerbook. I would like to kick up the quality a notch by using airtunes and and airport express. I don't want to use a squeezebox or ROCO since I like being able to pick songs using the itunes interface. I also don't want to ditch my existing wireless set-up which is running on a Linksys WRT54GL using a version of DD-WRT that is about a year old (I think V23 SP2).

I would like to connect the airport express wirelessly into my existing wireless network, but I am wondering if I am asking for trouble here. There is a page here that suggests it can work, but I get the impression this set-up may be a little quirky. Has anyone had success with this set-up?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=WDS_Linked_router_network#Apple_Airport_Express

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i am running "DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) std" on a wrt-54g

I connect an express to my network with no problems.
    The article is about having an express extend a network using WDS. Having it join the network (which is what i do) is an entirely different thing.

every so often (once every week or 2) iTunes will hang on "connecting to ..." even though the speakers show up in iTunes. After lots of time messing with the express, I found that a reset of the main router will clear this up immediately. Although I haven't been having as many problems since i moved about a month ago, so maybe it was an interference problem.

3. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I have a netgear wgr824 running the latest dd-wrt. I've had no problem extending my wireless with wds and under wep. If I use any other security protocols, it just won't work, so I abandoned that idea (like security more) and just have the airport express join my network.

4. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

cool. I just downloaded the airport express user guide and see that you can a) join an existing wireless network or b) extend an existing wireless network using WDS.

Are there any downsides to method A versus method B? If these options are the same from a feature/functionality perspective I can't understand why anyone would go with B over A since B is more complicated, sounds like it doesn't support WPA and results in a theoretical reduction in bandwidth.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

the only thing B would get you is increased range.

6. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Is it possible to use the airport express (n) as a wireless access point and not use its wireless router function?

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

ive been trying to get the airport express (n) to join my netgear wireless N all night and it hasnt worked at all. So im pretty much giving up on that idea and going back to join (I only needed it for streaming anyways)

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

yes, just have it join your existing network