Will Airport Extreme help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HE15MAN, Oct 26, 2011.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I currently have U-Verse 12mb Internet and and two story house (2800 sq ft). I am using their stock wireless router and it's performance is pretty subpar.

The wireless router is unfortunately on one side of the house so that side I am getting 9-10 mb down and 1.5 up. I can live with that. The problem is in the living room and upstairs, I get about 2mb down and often times Internet is unusable.

My question is, would using the Airport Extreme help me get faster Internet and better signal strength? Our office is currently upstairs so it is pretty key to getting that up to speed.

Thank you

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure what type of internet it is, but assuming it's cable, if you have a spare cable outlet elsewhere in the house, you can move the router and try that. The extreme is a very good router though, and definitely could help a bit. I wouldn't expect anything faster than what you're getting when you're close to your current router, as that's basically your connection speed, but you would likely get better signal throughout the house, although it may still not be as good in your office.

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I forgot the other problem. The router must stay where it is due to the fact my ADT Pulse alarm system has to be plugged in directly to it so it works. Due to that, I had to use the phone jack closest to it, which is on one side of the house downstairs. I would eally like to avoid having to pay a company to try to run wiring throughout this two story house since I keep hearing that is a nightmare.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Gotcha. I'd say it would be worth a shot. And you can also use the airport express as a range extender to the extreme if necessary.

5. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I have used a range extender, and honestly I didn't like the results.

6. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Did it not help much?

7. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I couldn't tell a difference. The signal strength was better, but the speed remained the same.

----------

I ended up getting a second modem for where I was trying to get wifi. but maybe try getting a high end router, that may end up fixing your problem... 802.11n and a 5ghz one.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

What you need is a pair of these http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533 (not those specifically (unless you want to), it's just to show you what it is). Either use them to connect another router upstairs, or connect it straight to your computer.

9. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

So the powerline adapters work pretty well? I had considered them but thought there was some issue with what rooms they worked in? I thought the only worked one the same breaker switch or something?

10. hafr macrumors 68030

I've got a friend who has one in the basement and the other on the second floor with no problems.

11. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

So in essence, I would plug one of these into a power outlet near my wireless router, run ethernet cable from router to device. Then plug in other receivers throughout house and run cable from them directly into the back of the devices?