Will Airpot Extreme with me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tragedies, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I've posted a similar topic befoe a while ago, but as Im getting my iMac when Leopard is coming out, which is soon, I thought I'd make sure everything will work.

Currently there is one PC (family computer) and one Macbook in my home (sister's). My parents PC use a NETGEAR MA111 802.11b adapter which sends a signal to our modem which is about 2 metres away. This is wireless, however as the adapter we use doesn't work on my sister's Macbook (not Mac compatible) she has an Ethernet port running about 3-4 meters to her Macbook (lol). I'm interested in buying the Airport Extreme Base Station, as I'm pretty sure this will allow my sister to have wireless internet, and the same with the iMac I'm purchasing.

If this does work though, will my parent's home PC be able to use the router? They have the NETGEAR MA111 802.11b Adapter on their computer, so will that allow them access?

Thanks for all the help, and its much appreciated,

Mikey.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it'll work fine but your speed swill be limited to 802.11B pace, which is quite slow for file sharing but fine for internet usage. You could save some money by buying a third party router. You don't necessarily need an AirPort. In fact, it's probably cheaper to buy an 802.11G router from a third party vendor, and an 802.11G card for your PC. That way everything will be running at 802.11G speeds. :)

3. vtecyo macrumors newbie

i think the best for you is to get the AEBS. leave it in your parents room, connect to your parents PC via ethernet(Lan). since your new iMac and your sister's MacBook are wifi enabled (draft N), you will access to the AEBS no problem. in this way, no one is slowing your wireless network plus all of 3 computers get the best out of themselves.

4. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

How much money would I save (heh, Aus Dollar) and which router would work on both my sisters Macbook and my iMac? *clueless*

Edit: To the poster above, whats AEBS? And if I was to do that, I'd have to move the modem to my office which would then mean my iMac would be about 12 metres away from me and 10 metres away from my sister. Would my internet be slow?

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Don't buy a Linksys....They are horrible, HORRIBLE machines.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

AEBS stands for AirPort Extreme Base Station, although I guess Extreme is interchangeable with Express. I don't know any figures, but if you can find a good deal on a regular wireless router then I'm sure it'll come in cheaper than the Extreme. Of course, if you can somehow hardwire your PC to a router or modem, then the Extreme will work at its full capacity and could be worthwhile.

7. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, that seems so obvious (AEBS, lol).

What do you mean by hardwire? My PC has an adapter (NETGEAR MA111 802.11b as mentioned before) which lets it connect to the internet. If I get the AEBS, won't I still be able to use the PC with the adapter?

I'm assuming the speeds will be a little faster, or the same, which I dont mind as I'm used to the speed I have now.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've found good results from Belkin and Buffalo Tech routers.

There's no really reason to get the Airport Extreme Base Station unless you can really benefit from the AirDisk and print server.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I mean for you to use ethernet to connect the PC to your network (possibly the AirPort or alternative router).

If you continue using the wireless adaptor on the PC, your speeds will be quite severely limited. That's why I'm recommending either using an ethernet cable (if possible), or buying a newer, faster adaptor.

10. vtecyo macrumors newbie

you don't really need the wireless adapter for you parents' pc.
    if you were going to adopt the method i suggested, the AEBS would be located in your parents' room, so they can connect it via LAN.
    your sister's and your Mac can connect via wirelss.
    isn't it that simple?
    plus, if you are a student, you get education discount. i think 220-250 AUD the most.