Will ALL iphone 4s's be $200 to replace during/after warantee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Foxdog175, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Foxdog175 macrumors regular

I wasn't able to purchase AppleCare+ when I preordered my 4s last Friday, but I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth the money. Are all 4s's (16, 32, 64) covered under the $200 replacement fee? For someone who upgrades nearly every year (by swapping with wife's phone #), isn't it better just to take the risk of $52 than to fork out $99+$49 in the event of an accident? I've had every iPhone and have only dropped one once (on a brick, lol...luckily very minimal damage). Is it just a difference of ~$50 if I take the gamble or is there more to it?

2. whatevs macrumors member

I'm curious about the same thing. I can't image breaking my phone more than once, and if it is $199 if I need to swap it out, why purchase Applecare+? Its only an additional $50 penalty over the $99+$50 with the plan?

plus, seems like there are a lot of glass replacement kits online for less than $50. how hard it is to do yourself?

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

We get a warranty for 1 year. If there is any defects with the iPhone it most certainly would show up during that time. If you drop it, pay the $199 fee and get another one or fix yourself.

With Applecare+ you are out $99 bucks whether or not your phone never has a single issue. And if it needs to be replaced, then you're out another $50 bucks.

I think I will take my chances and not get it.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Pretty hard :( I watched a Youtube video and looked at the iFixit teardown, and sent mine off for professional replacement when I broke the screen. As for technical ability, I install DCC decoders in N-scale model locomotives (means nothing to most people, but for those who have not done that, it means I am not squeamish about soldering irons and delicate, tiny components)

5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would say not worth it for a 16 gb. Maybe for a 32. I will be purchasing it for my 64 gb.

I think of it as buying the lightest, thinnest, most see-through case out there for $99. Yes, I could get a real case and be fine, but I hate the extra bulk. I also rely on my phone for work, so I like knowing I can waltz into any Apple store and swap it out without any discussion.

6. Foxdog175 thread starter macrumors regular

Would it matter though if all of the iPhones fall under the same $199 replacement fee?

7. mikepro macrumors 6502

What makes you think Apple will continue this unofficial policy of offering $199 replacements now that they offer this insurance? I would expect that to be reduced, or the replacement price to go up...

8. doboy macrumors 68000

I think the clear advantage of AppleCare+ is that you are allowed to swap it twice, if needed, so you are potentially out of $200 ($100 initial + 2x $50) vs. 2 x $200 without it. However, for this privilege you have to fork over $100 whether you use it or not so it may not be worth it unless you tend to abuse or use it without adequate protection. This is all assuming that $199 for swap out and $29 for replacing back glass only is still offered.

9. fjrabon macrumors regular

If I had a guarantee that they'd continue this policy I wouldn't even think about applecare+. However, I always felt like the $199 replacement fee was just a way to keep from going ballistic when there wasn't anything else for people to fall back on. Now that they have applecare+, I think there's a pretty good chance the $199 replacement fee days are done with.

----------

You also have to consider that in pricing the applecare+, Apple probably already considered that a significant number of people will 'just so happen' to have an accident with the phone right when the iPhone 5 comes out, so that they can 'just so happen' to sell their replacement phone as completely new with the scratch cover still on.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I agree, they may still do the $199 replacement *if* you also buy AppleCare+ at the time of that replacement as suggested by http://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/11...-free-replacement-policy-for-damaged-iphones/

It will be interesting to watch. Since AppleCare+ is cancellable with pro-rated refund (less 10%, see T&C) it isn't that expensive to get it now and see how this plays out over the next three months.

11. Mclyter macrumors newbie

It's not really unofficial. It's listed on Apple's support page.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318362134.836856.jpg

I guess they could still discontinue it though...

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

But does that cover obvious accidental damage and faulty/failing device out of warranty or just the latter? If both, then the AppleCare+ is pretty pointless (for a 16gb phone, not as much for a 32 or 64gb). If it's only the latter it's not a bad deal, but not great either.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I e-mailed them to ask this very question and they added Apple Care + to my order.
    I figured that was either a no or a f'off and gimme more of your money.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do you have a link for that? I am NOT refuting what you posted, good find, but I am curious as to how the define "eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service)?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it under "What type of damages are not covered by my warranty?". http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

15. bniu macrumors 6502a

hmm, original iPhone service fee $149. I could surely use that to fix mine up. That's the only old iPhone I hold onto, could be a museum piece someday :D, the first ever iPhone!

16. rkahl macrumors 65816

It all comes down to your next upgrade eligiblity date. Will you be getting an upgrade or will this phone have to last you a while. Normally I get an upgrade within the time period of a new iPhone, this time might be different.

17. fjrabon macrumors regular

I believe the unofficial aspect is likely that it's not a contractual right. Apple just does it to keep people from flipping out. But it was never part of any agreement you signed that apple would provide that service when you bought your iPhone and it goes well beyond any state's implied warranty laws. Thus, the unofficial tag, at least that's the way I've always interpreted it. And also, if you read it they always just say you 'may' be eligible for OOW coverage if you have accidental or water damage. They reserve the right to deny any replacements they want.

18. Mclyter macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

Look under Warranty and Service Pricing, then select My iPhone is not eligible for Warranty Service.