Will Amazon every sell i7 iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xxRONNIExx, Aug 7, 2011.

1. xxRONNIExx macrumors regular

xxRONNIExx

I have a few gift cards from amazon and Im thinking about purchasing a iMac. I would like to go with a i7 (2011 edition) but I don't see them in amazon. They do have older models that are i7.
    Just wondering if they will get some for the newer models as well.

2. ImKay macrumors newbie

No, this is because iMac i7s Are BTO models (Built to Order) and apple order stock models :)

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Unfortunately, no .. iMac i7 is only available through online Apple store order, or (if you lucky) some available on retail Apple Store. But not always though, like I said, only if you lucky.

I don't know why iMac with i7 made more difficult to get? Yes, sure Apple would like something special, exclusive and unique for their online order, and also make the sale direct to customer means more profit inbound. But Macbook Pro with i7 has always been available as standard configuration, in fact MOST of 2011 MBP has i7 (albeit mobile CPU) .. so you can get one easily in Apple Store, premium resellers or even third party distributor like Amazon.

At least iMac i7 processor upgrade should be sold as standard, anyone care to explain about exclusivity of i7 iMac?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The i5s in the iMacs are quad core, while the mobile i5 is all dual core. Apple wanted quads in the MBPs, so they had to go with the i7.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Sure I'm aware of that, at least now iMac going all quad core. But quad i7 in Macbook Pro also make it has 8 threads due to HT, right? While as standard configuration, hi-end iMac still get i5 which purely quad :(

This is when hi-end i5 in iMac get humiliated by hi-end i7 MBP on some benchmark and test. Sure it's only a matter of seconds, no big deal for most people. But still, I'm still confused why Apple wouldn't provide i7 iMac as standard? :( I mean, CPU upgrade is commonly needed by many people, and people are willing to pay for it, and Apple could still keep another exclusive upgrades (HDD, SSD, RAM, VRAM) for their online store, right? Not all countries have the privileges of ordering BTO from Apple, providing i7 on iMac as standard surely will reach into more people, thus increase the sale number.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Apple makes more money that way, and look at the prices. The i7 27" iMac (beats the 2.3GHz MBPs) is $2199. The 2.2GHz MBP 15" is $2199, and it comes with all the standard options. In fact, the 3.1GHz iMac is comparable to the 2.0GHz MBP, but with a significantly better GPU and a bigger, nicer, higher-res screen. Either way you look at it, the iMac is the better deal, minus portability.