Will an AirPort Express create a "wired" connection on a wi-fi network?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dealmaker, Mar 28, 2016.

1. dealmaker, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

dealmaker macrumors regular

Guys,

I have an interesting problem. I have a device (its a Yamaha piano) that needs a "wired" ethernet connection (its an older device that has no wi-fi card/connection) - and as it sits in the middle of a room - there is no elegant way of running a CAT cable to it. It has power and there are loads of places to "hide" things inside/underneath it.

So the question is - if I buy an AirPort Express, connect that to my existing wi-fi network - install the Airport beneath the device and connect it to power - I have suddenly have a connected wi-fi box with an Ethernet port on it - so if I plug my device into the ethernet port on the Airport- will my device "see" the internet and act like it has a wired connection?

I don't want to order one if this won't work!!

Thanks

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Yes. Set it up to join or add to the existing network, not extend it. Otherwise it will impede the network.

3. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

hmm
    are you sure?

does this work with all Express versions?

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The current version works.

The ethernet port acts as ifmit is a port of the base station.

You could always just get a powerline ethernet adaptor instead, but the Express promises a lot of alternative uses.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. All wireless N Express models have this functionality. Wireless G models do not have this ability however.

6. r8ders2k macrumors member

Have you considered using one of the PowerLine, ethernet over power, devices?