Will an Airport Extreme Unit Help me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rimmi2002, Dec 31, 2011.

1. rimmi2002 macrumors member

Hi I was looking into Wake on Demand features on Hacks. Reading more into it...seems like it only works if you have an Airport extreme Unit or Time capsule on your network. My first question is..is it possible to do it with any other router. The main reason I need this is that I need to at time log into my computer through log me in from an outside location/iphone while it is asleep. Not sure it this will work with wake on demand or not.

I currently am using a rebranded BCM94322MC wireless card in my Hack and it does not have the "Wake On Wireless: Supported" line like my Macbook Air does. So will my computer work on wake on demand if I were to get an AEBS. My current setup will be my AEBS will be connected to a Win7 computer and I have a 2011 MBA and Hack with BCM94322MC wireless hoping to use wake on wireless features. Wondering if I should fork over the money for AEBS to get the wake on demand feature or is there another way around this? Right now I am getting a used 4th gen AEBS for $70. Good Deal?

One app I saw was this: http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/index.html. Do people know if this will work?

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think you are mixing a few things.

Wake On LAN: Designed for waking computers on via wired networks
    Wake on Wireless: similar, but for WiFi
    Back to my Mac: a combination of wake and remote access software + some router/firewall features.

The software you linked supports both the first two. You need something else for the actual remote access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_My_Mac

B

3. rimmi2002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification. So in essence then I don't need an AEBS to do any of these. They can be done through any router. Is that correct?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Any router that supports the right feature set, properly configured:

B