Will an american iphone 4G work in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y, Jul 12, 2010.

1. C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y macrumors newbie

Same as title, im going to america in a few weeks was thinking of buying the new iphone 4G on pay as you go but im not sure if it will work in the uk with a uk sim.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They don't sell the iPhone on PAYG in the USA and even if they did it would be locked to AT&T so would need to be unlocked so you could use it on a UK network.

3. C-o-u-r-t-n-e-y thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh thank you. So there is no way for me to buy an iphone 4g in america rather than paying double the price over here in the UK??

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You are not paying double the price in the UK. The American price you have seen is subsidised by a two year contract.

If you sign up to a similar priced 24 month contract with one of the UK networks then the handset is actually a lot cheaper in the UK.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you could buy an ip4 in the USA providing you didn't activate it then it would work fine. There all unlocked till activation takes place.

6. ustahir1 macrumors member

just to confirm, my sister is going to new york, if she buys the iphone 4 directly from the apple store, would she be able to bring it to the UK and use/setup it here in the UK

7. Sepp macrumors member

sounds very interesting, and I would like to hear if someone else can confirm this - I am traveling to the US for vacation this week, and would like to use the 4G with my European SIM card during that trip.

This would mean that I wouldn't have to jailbreak/unlock the 4G, which would be awesome.

8. draz macrumors 6502a

Did you get it sim free? If yes then you can use a sim card from AT&Twithout any issues. If you got it for a subsidized price from a carrier then the phone is locked to your current carrier and it needs to be unlocked.

But NOTE that you can use a locked phone in the US (and anywhere in the world). The phone will connect to AT&T's network perfectly fine, just that you will be charged the roaming rates. Check what they are with your carrier before you travel here.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

In the US, all phones are locked--with or without contract. Right now 4.0.2 doesn't have a hacker jailbreak which also means no unlock either.
    It is always better to buy an unlocked phone from either Canada, Britain, Hong Kong or any of the other countries that sell an unlocked iphone 4.