Will an Android phone work with just wifi?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Necross, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Necross macrumors member

So, I'm a web designer, and I'd like to test stuff on an Android (and blackberry too actually).

So, if I buy just the phone with no wireless plan, will it work for everything except making calls? Like would it still work to just use WiFi and get on the web and test my sites, or even mess with other apps too and basically be like an ipod touch?

I know my old cellphone (a motorola razor) wouldn't work without a sim card in it, so I'm not sure if a newer android phone would be like that too.

2. simsaladimbamba

I recently bought two Android capable smartphones (HTC Wildfire - returned; Moto Defy) and I could use both via WiFi without a SIM card. Those were models bought in Europe.
    And if it doesn't work for you, you could acquire a pre-paid SIM card for 10€ I guess and use that.

3. parapup, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Which Android phone are you planning to buy? Most of them will work with just WiFi - some carrier locked ones may not. So your best bet would be to buy something like a Nexus S or any other unlocked device.

Yep - Look for something that has Gingerbread ROM available - either custom one (Cyanogenmod for e.g.) or vendor provided. Any of the ones listed here should be good to go.

4. Necross thread starter macrumors member

Don't know what I want yet, I guess something older and used would be fine. All I really want it for is to test web pages, and I guess something with a slide out keyboard since i hate touch screen keyboards. I was thinking I'd just look on ebay.. isn't it a lot more expensive if you buy a new phone without a plan?

5. simsaladimbamba

It is more expensive, I bought the phones without a plan, as I don't want a plan. With a plan you pay a monthly fee, where the cost for the phone is included, thus you pay less up front, but in the long run you pay more.

6. Necross thread starter macrumors member

what does Gingerbread do besides taste good?

I don't really want to get a new phone yet since I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 and my old cell works fine for now. just need something cheap for web stuff.

7. simsaladimbamba

Android 2.1 and 2.2 should suffice your web testing needs, as Gingerbread seems to be not employed yet on that many phones, strangely.

8. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Hmm. You can buy an old phone of the model listed in that link - any one of it. It's just that it comes with added benefit that you can run Gingerbread for free if you so wish. Otherwise pretty much any old phone running 2.1/2.2 will do for testing web apps - heck even the Android SDK shipped emulator can do that job.