Will an Apple certified repair shop replace a mini HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Whackintosh, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

I'm kind of terrified at the risk of damaging one of the antennas so I'd prefer to have a certified technician swap out the stock hdd for a 7200 one. Would that be possible or does it break an Apple rule?

Still don't have my mini, btw. Continuing to fence-sit between a refurb Imac or a maxed out mini...

2. Milfin macrumors regular

I asked the certified shop in my town and was qouted a $50 for memory or free if I buy it from them. $75 for a HDD swap and free if I buy from them.
    He also encouraged me to try it myself. Supposedly the hardest thing was opening the case if I got past that I would be ok.

3. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah the genius will do it for like 100 lol
    thats what i have heard

4. Whackintosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Cool. Does doing any of this void the warranty?

5. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

FYI Any alu iMac will stomp the mini in performance.

Also, it's really (And i mean REALLY) easy to replace the ram & HD in a mini. Just be careful, go slow, and you will be just fine.

EDIT: Also about the warranty.... all i have to say is "what apple doesn't know, won't hurt them". There isn't any special "seals" that tell them if the machine has been opened.

6. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

yeah this is not a Play-station or a Moto Razr u can open it up Ram and HDD are considered User replaceable