Will an Apple Store match online "custom" spec prices when buying an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tomacwhite, May 1, 2009.

1. tomacwhite macrumors regular

I would like to buy an iMac and I'd really like it this weekend so buying it from an Apple Store is ideal. However, I would like to have my iMac with a wireless keyboard and mouse, which is a much cheaper option than buying them seperatly (nearly £100 when buying on their own compared to £35 when bought with an iMac).

So my question is this; Would an Apple Store sell me an iMac with wireless kb/mouse for £35, or would they charge the seperate prices?

Thanks.

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Apple stores are quite fond of saying that they're a different entity (or division, whatever) from the online store, so I doubt it. Maybe you could talk with a manager to see if they'll match the price. Be prepared to walk away from the negotiating table if they say no.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Yes, they will. The wireless option is about the only customization available at the store. I bought mine last August with wireless for an additional $50.

4. tomacwhite thread starter macrumors regular

Great! Do they have them boxed up all ready, or do they switch out the wired for wireless kb+mouse?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Last time I checked, if you go to the physical store and want custom, they'll order from the online store.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Don't buy Apple's mice. They are in my opinion the worst mice currently available at any price from any company. The fact that the wireless version is actually one of the most expensive on the market is a complete kick in the teeth when you're getting frustrated with it not doing what you want it to.

On the other hand, the aluminium keyboards are probably the best keyboards I've ever used.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

They're already boxed up.

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Agreed. They may look good, but after a while, its minor quirks do get frustrating. Go with a Logitech wireless mouse.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I guess I'm lucky. None of my Mighty Mice over the last several years have given me any problems.

10. tomacwhite thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I have to say I wasn't very impressed with the mouse I got with my G3 iMac years ago (the round thing), or the very expensive bluetooth one I got when I bought my G4 iBook. Didn't even have a wheel!

The new ones look uncomfortable but I thought I'd give them a go. Perhaps I should go for the wireless kb option on its own, or get the mouse and sell it on if the stores only sell them together.

So.. Would any bluetooth Logitech mouse work with OSX? Or are they RF with a little USB receiver?

11. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

They only come as a set. Try the Mighty Mouse. As with aristobrat, I've had no problems with mine and I love it.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

OTOH, an applecare rep told me over the phone that apple does cover the mighty mouse with applecare.

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

The Apple Stores also upgrades RAM, on site. This was offered to me for a Macbook, I was considering. The salepeople told me this option takes about an hour to do, depending how busy they are.

You can also get the discounts for iWork and MobileMe.

14. tomacwhite thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everybodies help and advice with this.

After much thought and constant mind changing, I actually went back to my original choice machine, a Macbook. I'd miss doing what I am doing right now too much; chilling on the sofa watching The Wire, whilst surfing the net etc.

I went for the 2.4ghz Macbook (my girlfriend persuaded me to go with that over the standard one 'cause of the pretty keyboard lighting...), and its awesome. My previous Mac, an iBook G4, was a great computer, but this is simply beautiful in every area. From the painfully sexy body to the multitouch; the latter being super sweet!

I am very happy with my purchase, and this my third Apple computer, is the best one yet! And to think I even thought for one moment about getting a cheapo Dell..