Will an apple store personal update your iPhone software for free? or they

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Feb 13, 2014.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

charge you a fee at the apple store ? for them to update your iPhone? Because my iPhone will not restore at all using itunes and I was wondering if they could check it out. It has no warranty but will they update the software for free ? If they can't update it and the phone has no hardware problems what will happen since it doesn't have warranty? Because if it's not an hardware problem and it's a major software problem then what will those people do?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Have you tried putting the phone in DFU mode?

If your phone won't install an iOS update, something is wrong with the hardware.

3. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

You can schedule a Genius appointment and find out. More than likely, if they can get it to update without having to do any repairs, there'll be no charge. And I'm pretty sure they can make that happen.

4. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried that and it said Error 9 but I don't know what kind of error that is...I mean my iPhone never had a problem with the hardware. It's only 13 months old.

----------

If they did have to make a repair do they have to ask us first before they do it? I don't want them to repair it if they don't inform that it needs to be repaired since my dad won't have the money to pay for it.

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

They'll definitely let you know before doing a repair. I'm guessing they'll do a device replacement and charge the out of warranty fee.

6. blarivee macrumors 6502

They will do basic diagnostics. If it's just software error, and it's easy to fix, they will fix it for you. If it requires a warranty they will present options and the cost. Also, firmware error i.e. the firmware cannot be loaded, it will be a OOW.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you sure it was in actual DFU mode? The screen was blank and iTunes recognized it?

They may be able to restore it, but if they can't something is wrong with the hardware. It's unfortunate that you're out of warranty, but it happens sometimes.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'd say make an appointment and take it in to get looked at. In my experience they always ask and double check before making you commit to a purchase. They won't charge without telling you. It'll have to be your decision.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This explains the thread started by the OP a few days ago complaining that Apple should have a 2 year warranty.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The worst thing they can do is tell you "sorry this is out of warranty and we will attempt nothing without XYZ fees"

If they run repairs on it and attempt to charge you for said repairs without informing you they are likely operating against the law. It's absolutely not worth the store's time to start charging people for fixed they weren't aware of. There is zero incentive in that.