Will an Apple/Toshiba SSD benefit video performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blahbrah, Sep 26, 2012.

1. blahbrah, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

blahbrah macrumors 6502

So I just noticed a pretty awesome sale at OWC for a Toshiba SSD for $280 http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Toshiba/HNSNC512GBSJ/

I have a 2011 13" MBP, 2.7GHz and I've noticed the whole system takes a hit when I stream flash video to an external display. Scrolling becomes choppy, and I've noticed my I/O spikes to around ~100 IOPS. I'm wondering if an SSD will alleviate this choppiness or if it's the integrated card that's causing this.

Also, I realize Crucial and Samsung sell better SSD options, but $280 for official TRIM support is hard to beat and my last MB died after 4 years and with this one approaching the 2 year mark, it seems like long term performance won't be as much as an issue. Especially since this probably won't be able to go into the next MBP.

Also, can anyone speak on the reliability of this drive? Should it make it another 2 years?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

It's a good deal because its an extremely slow SSD. I would still buy a Samsung or Crucial and just run the TrimEnabler App.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

I would get crucial or Samsung. The drive you posted is SATA II. I can't remember if the 13" MBP is SATA III. As for trim, you can enable trim with a simple terminal command, no app needed. I have been running my M4 without trim for months with no issues.