Will an Apple TV bought from US work on PAL in Europe?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Lycanthrope, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Hi all

Title says it all really - I'm interested to get an Apple TV but the cost here is €299/€399 compared with $229/$329 which translates into €150/€220 with the current exchange rate so basically half the price.

Does the Apple TV give PAL output and will it work with 240volts - my Apple HiFi auto-switches power, perhaps TV is the same?

Cheers

2. NJuul macrumors 6502

YES!
    It works just fine, I just got one shipped from "over there" yesterday, and all I needed to do was buy a new power cord to fit in our power outlets. It works.

3. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers! :)

4. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

As all the Apple TV is is a very compact computer and uses a TV to output - you need not worry about PAL and NTSC. As far as I was aware, these two different standards have more or less been forgotten about with the advent of HD. Praise the lawd ;)

pac

5. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

The Apple TV offers NTSC (480p 60Hz) and PAL (576p 50Hz) outputs, as well as "PAL-friendly" options for HD (720p or 1080i at 50Hz), so you're covered globally.

6. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to you all.

Now I need to persuade someone to bring me one back...

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

HDMI Cable would be good - you wouldnt want to be watching stuff in low-def now would you??

8. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi! Did you get one yet? I was wondering if I needed the actual cord or if a power adapter will work?
    Thanks

9. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Just use a travel adapter or a new cord. You don't need a voltage converter (if that is what you referred to with "power adapter").

10. sgibson macrumors regular

sgibson

The :apple:TV just uses a standard figure 8 power cable, which you probably have lying around or can be picked up from an electrical shop for a couple of quid. All the voltage switching is done inside the unit so it really is a case of plug in and go.

11. samthegap macrumors newbie

Yeah - works fine in the UK. I went for the 160GB version as I was told that Pal TV took up more space. Turns out the difference is tiny but I am grateful for the extra space as you will be surprised how much you want to store on there.